Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

Forum: NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Northampton Half Marathon

The Northampton Half Marathon fitted quite nicely into my marathon training schedule so I entered this some time ago when I saw it listed in the Grand Prix races - not that I saw any other squirrels there.

It was pretty much a race of two halves for me. I think that I got more than a little carried away at the start and was somewhat perturbed to discover that I had gone through the first 3 miles in a Garmin reported 5:58 pace - which as I only managed 5:50 pace at the Hatfield 5k on Wednesday must rank in the realms of unrealistically optimistic ! But I felt good, which lasted until the hill at half way (note to self - get better at hills) when things started to slow down. I never really recovered on the downhill stretch, not helped by the sharp switch backs on the paths down - I really don't like changing direction very fast after previous injury so was taking the pace nice and gently around the corners.

Overall somewhat slower than I had hoped to achieve - 01:22:10 chip time, finishing in 24th place overall (according to the online results - it was 25th when I checked at the finish), and I can here Karen saying in my mind that seconds gained at the start are minutes lost at the finish. This placed me as 3rd MV50. It was also the BMAF half marathon championships, in which I also picked up the bronze medal. I think its fair to say that the BMAF championships certainly helped the quality of the field as there was a marked cross over between the overall presentations and those of the BMAF.

Re: Northampton Half Marathon

Still an amazing time Nick. Well done.

Well done Nick fantastic running.

Congratulations on a national podium placing Nick, fabulous result:)

Fantastic Nick - really well done and really well deserved. That is a time I would be pleased to finish a 10-miler in. I can't believe I am saying this to someone who has just run a half in 1.22 but I totally agree with Karen about seconds gained at the start costing minutes at the end - there is no better feeling than coming into the last 3 miles knowing you have saved something and can really kick on... Save those sub-6-minute miles for the last 3...

Well done, Nick. That is a fantastic time and a suoerb national result.