Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Great North Run

I did the Great North Run today. I finished 137th position in 1:18:52.

I was pacing for 79 mins after a tough week of training too, so pleased to get just under target. However, it was quite windy and it's a tough course actually. There's a couple of long climbs in there. I had to smash the last 2km to get back on pace. I had my watch set using the virtual partner. You set a pace for your partner to run and it tells you where you are in relation to them. Anyway, I was 25 sec down with a mile to go, so I blasted it out with 2 sub 3:30min/km - and I beat him by 8 seconds.

Fantastic fan support on route. Some great music. One of my best bits was an Elvis road side singer! He was great.

My sister ran too. Last year I paced her round, but this year we were running separately. She did really well running by herself. And ran just under 2:15. I did back track to find her after finishing and met her at 11miles. I was going to hop back on and help her, but she was looking great. So I ran a few hundred yards with her and then left her to it. She's really pleased for running it on her own.

Simon Poole was also there. I saw him at the start too, which was good 611th in 1:27:57. His name is spelt wrong tho, in case you try and verify his time - he'd down as Poold. I can confirm I saw him in the number.

Re: Great North Run

Congratulations John on a great performance.

Well done!

Great running John.

Fantastic running John - well done! And congratulations to your sister, too - it always looks like such a crowded route, I do wonder if some runners have to spend the whole race dodging round people, a bit like London Marathon ...

Well done to the Auld family

Thanks John! I think actually spelt my own name wrong, somehow!! That's a 90 second PB for me, very pleased!!. Pacing went as I hoped going into it, although I was surprised by how hilly it felt despite having looked at the elevation. First time doing it, it was the best atmosphere I've experienced in a race, great support all the way round and a nice quick finish. I got penned in at the start and had a slight panic when the race split in two directions, but it joined back not too long later. Thoroughly recommend it!

Fantastic both of you - really well done. No way I could cope with all those people!

Well done, John - and sister and Simon!

Those are great times.

Well done John and Simon - great times

Well done to both of you!