Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
30 years of standalone

Just looked at the comet website and a very good article about 30 years of standalone .
I started in the second year and was out on the old course near the drinks station .
After that I recorded numbers at the finish and a year later did the timekeeping duties until the electronic timing took over . I spent many a time near Ian on the pa shouting the times out so the recorder could note them . My poor assistant must of had earache for weeks.
The long serving members can be proud of the input that has seen it grow to the race it is now. I am very happy that I have helped and seen the seed we planted grow into a big oak tree.
One standalone memory for John Atkinson and maybe Ian remembers. A committee meeting held at Plinston Hall and it was above a beer festival . John cannot remember much about that meeting . Never had a committee meeting at a venue like that since

Re: 30 years of standalone

Hi Russel Good to hear from you. I do remember that meeting and I think we joined the beer festival and bought a beer or 2. No meetings like that now as there is always so much to cover.
Hope you are well.
Ian

Good luck to all in the good ship standalone . Will be think off you . Nhrr played a big part of my life and the club owes a big debt to our late race founder Phil Gilby . Without Phil Ian and John and all the hard work they put in 30 years ago we would not have the race we have today.

I would also pay tribute to all the people who helped me in the finish area over the years with the recording and make sure the race flowed . We were the only race to have a double funnel 50 per side then change .I enjoyed the timekeeping and I am glad I could help with that for as long as I did until the electronic timing took over . Saved my voice

The Powell family for their help with the timekeeping as well . Working with Margaret Powell was great as I picked up a lot and gave a great deal of good advice . Margaret knew everything about athletics

Yes I do miss the club and all it members but I retired on doctors advise and Ian you be pleased to know I am still that nutty person from years ago and I finally meet Helen and got married last December . Yes I found someone who can put up with the quirks .

Russell, I had completely forgotten but I stood next to you at least once and drew lines on a bit of paper...

Looking back the committee members have done a lot of hard work in the past and now to get the race the success it is . To get the race this size is down to the hard work of committees now and in the past.
It also shows what a great race it is now as if it was not organised well, then people would not enter .
Well done all the unsung heroes of nhrr for the commitment to the club and the success of the race

I remember working with John Farnham who produced I think our first computerised way of recording the Standalone entries and finishers. Entries were done by post or handed in and then typed into his system. On race day when a few finishers crossed the line someone would rush along and hand us their results which we would then type in until the last person crossed the line. We thought we were very up to date and fast but of course the modern way of doing things now makes it look rather old fashioned and I don't think we could have coped with the amount of runners that now take part!

When the Club celebrated its 25th anniversary I produced a newsletter which includes a lot of pictures of our past and present Club members (Russell, you are in there) their achievements and records. It also includes a copy of the Club's first ever newslettter and a handwritten training schedule.

If you want to have a look you should be able to access it here:
https://www.scribd.com/document/360235374/25th-Anniversary-News-Letter

You will need to copy and paste the link. It is interesting to see how the Club has grown in size since its 25th anniversary.

I remember John working on them one year but having to pause part way through to have his roast dinner before finishing them off...we wouldn't get away with that these days, results need be ready as soon as the race is finished!

Wow Sue I had forgotten about that newsletter, it's fab (and how fresh faced we all look!!)

I do remember the 25 year newsletter and I did read it was was a great read and I do look at it every so often as it bring back great memories.

A couple of years after it started Ian will confirm this we were worried about the race with the stotfold by pass slicing through the course and wether we would be able to organise a run which included the by pass and could we cut across the main road in and out of stotfold , thankfully the race went along the by pass.

Sue I remember you locked away with John in a side room at the farm figuring out errors which occurred during the recording stage .It was a hard job which you did fantastic at . As you say it just go to show how standalone has grown and how we as a club have have used new technology to improve the race .

Nice to be remembered by Russell. My days of standing for ages at starts and finishes are alas over, but son Richard still supports NHRR in the timekeeping role. Granddaughter Alex Gates has just run her first Standalone 10... her last appearance there was a couple of wins in the Fun Run.

Congratulations on getting married Russell - she's one brave lady!

Hope it went well today . Spoke to former member Brian Taylor and he missed Arsenal to run today as it was a special anniversary . Brian said it was great seeing old friends and liked the drummers . Said it was a well organised race as per the usual high standards that nhrr seem to reach. Nhrr know how to organise a great race

Margaret Powell it was an honour to work will a lady who had so many athletic qualification as you . If nobody knew a reply to a question on athletics then Margaret was the person to ask. Richard is also a great servant to athletics as well

Jo S My other half is a brave lady to put up with me