Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Get some sleep!

This is a fascinating article on the healing properties of adequate sleep and the role it can play in preventing mental and physical ill health. Particularly pertinent to runners is this point:

"The time taken to reach physical exhaustion by athletes who obtain anything less than eight hours of sleep, and especially less than six hours, drops by 10-30%."

Re: Get some sleep!

I dream of being able to get 8 hours sleep in the 6 I usually manage...

Re: Get some sleep!

Like Jo, I can only dream of getting eight hours sleep! I consider I'm doing well if I get seven, but I am making a conscious effort to do that after reading all the scary stuff about how lack of sleep basically causes dementia and/or early death!!

Quality and quantity of sleep definitely deteriorates as you get older, however, and I never have an unbroken night's sleep these days. There is also the issue of sleep disturbance for women during menopause, which doesn't seem to get a mention in the article. This is extremely common, affects getting on for 50% of the population, and can go on for many years - not a lot we can do about it either, really, apart from try to make the quality of the sleep we DO manage to get as good as possible. Similarly, any parent of young children will tell you more than you could ever want to know about broken sleep .....

I do definitely notice a big difference in performance in every area of life, including training and racing, depending on how much sleep I have had.

So, as Ed says - get some sleep!