Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Compression socks

Can anyone recommend a good brand of compression sock? I had a quick look but didn't recognise many brand names.

TIA

Re: Compression socks

I use 2XU calf guards/sleeves. I find them more comfortable than the socks and last longer. 🙂

Thanks Sue, they're for my husband who has previously suffered from achilles tendonopathy - I'm hoping to help minimise his chances of getting it again (such a romantic birthday present :joy:). Do you think the sleeves would sit low enough to support his achilles?

I've used 1000 mile compression socks, which I liked, but the last pair I bought were from Red Venom and were a bit cheaper I think whilst also being very robust:

https://redvenom.co.uk/products/graduated-compression-socks

I've not used calf guards, but I'm not sure they would be quite so useful if there is an Achilles issue to be contended with - Sue will probably be able to tell you more about that though.

Cara, I am not sure if the calf guards are suitable for Achilles. I think you can get something called a compression ankle support or sleeve which is probably more appropriate for Achilles.

Thanks to both of you for the information. He doesn't currently have Achilles tendonopathy, but we're hoping to prevent it returning. A physio friend of ours thought it would help him (he has a complicated set of issues, he has flexibility issues too!) so I think I'll give the socks a go and see how they go.

Socks for success.

Compressport and CEP are both known brands.
Even Decathlon does a compression sock these days. Are they as good? They are cheaper.

IMHO other than what they say on the packet, compression socks
1: keep the affected area warm and encourage blood flow near to the tendon to encourage rehab
2: improve mindfulness about a dicky calf / ankle / foot so you can pickup on small changes and catch anything before it develps further when training

Calf guards leave a bit of ankle exposed normally ... for achilles I have had no success with them however they are OK if you have tight calves only for recovery.

I find that regular heel drops and lots of them (4x20 twice/3 times a day with a 10% bodyweight rucksack on, plus light skipping for training are fast track improvers for achilles tendonopathy.

Cheers. JIM