Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Haverhill Marathon

This was my first marathon since November and due to a knee injury training has been a little unorthodox - no running at all in December followed by 3-3.5 miles either on the dreadmill or off road every day Monday-Saturday and a longer road run on Sunday since the beginning of January - so I was expecting today to be tough.

Haverhill is a typically undulating, very pretty, Suffolk run. Sort of 2 laps but as the 2nd lap is only half of the 1st lap it doesn't really feel like laps. The half starts 2 hours after the marathon and joins the marathon route after 2 miles where the marathon is at 15 miles which is great as the half runners inspire the marathon runners to keep going. Having decided to take it easy, jog along and see what happens, this was where I looked at my garmin for the first time and was very surprised to see that I was running at sub-4 pace. I carried on expecting to blow up at any point and to have to walk/run to the finish but it didn't happen.

Going through mile 20 in under 3 hours meant a sub-4 finish was very much on the cards without having to worry but I was still pretty pleased to cross the finish in 3.51 which is about half an hour quicker than I had expected and also that, as usual, my last mile was my fastest! 4th lady, 1st FV50.

Re: Haverhill Marathon

Well done and welcome back to running. I would be very happy with that time

Well done jo. I know Haverhill is one of your favourite marathons. I hope to try it our year.

Well done Jo - you make it sound so easy (which I know it isn't ....:smile: )

Congratulations Jo! I wish I could have been there. I don’t remember many flat bits - just undulating bordering on hilly all the way round! :slightly_smiling_face:

Delighted to hear that you were able to complete the distance and in such a great time, congratulations!