Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Running watch advice

Hello,

I'm not sure if it's ok to post about running gear advice. Let me know if I shouldn't.

I really want to buy a watch to track my runs because using the phone has started to annoy me!

I'm looking at Garmin forerunner 235 and Tom Tom runner 3 cardio with music.

I don't want to spend a lot that's why I'm looking at those.

I'd like to sync it with Strava, have long battery life for 3+ hour runs, intervals option, good data reporting, enough info on screen while I run, audio notifications for intervals etc...

What is your experience with sports watches and would you recommend or tell me to avoid any?

Many thanks
Angeliki

Re: Running watch advice

Hi I have the Tom Tom spark 3 it does running walking swimming treadmill and workouts too.
It links to strava and else endomondo
It has lots of information on the watch while running mine shows distance time running your pace
You can also set a top pace and a lower pace it will tell you when you go out of this.

You can set various challenges on it and set up new runs etc it literally does everything it's amazing would highly recommend.

Oh that sounds good! I think the spark 3 is the runner 3 actually. I'll check. I've found it on offer 😍😍😍

I went for the forerunner 235 for a present for my other half last December, but only because that was easiest as a upgrade from another garmin. It certainly used to be the case that garmins were considered better for being running specfic so that brand seems to be most common, but these days in terms of spec everything is very similar for a given price point. I think it depends on what software you get used to, and how much you trust the company involved to try and fix bugs. For instance last week Garmin Connect had a bug that didn’t allow you to transfer custom workouts to the watch, but it was fixed.

I used to be a garmin girl but recently changed to a tom tom spark 3 and really like it. crucially, it picks up satellite better than my garmin did outside spirella!

Yeh, compared to James’ old garmin the new one with GPS and glonass is much better. Ps do ask if you want to borrow it.

I'm also looking at a Suunto ambit 3 verical heart rate one just because it's on offer too. :)
Your replies are very helpful! Thank you for helping me :)

Thank you Clare! Nooo!!haha! I'd be scared to use it! Thank you!

Haha!! Lindsay that's a valid reason to prefer it!

Hi,

I have a Garmin 235. It is just brilliant. Syncs straight away, links with strava and I use it for both cycling and running. Katie has the better version for swimming as well. Does absolutely everything I want from a running cycling watch. Probably too much info.

My only issue is, I am sure I am running faster than the watch tells me.

Hahaha!!!! Aren't we all!!??

Hello all, after an eventful John Lewis visit I ended up buying the vivoactive 3 just because it was on a very good on offer. Does anyone have experience with this one? I'll open it and have a look tonight but it's so difficult to buy without actually using it!