Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rob Hill team GB presentation

thank you to those who were able to attend Thursdays session with Rob. Hope this was useful and you got something out of it.

My take home message was how to better deal with tedinopathy (having just recovered from an achilles tendinopathy myself), about the importance of getting the balance between progressive 'overload' and rest right to improve fitness and that 2-3x 20 mins strength training will be more beneficial and adding another 20 mins running.

The presentation, plus some more specific guidance will shortly be posted to our resource page. Will let you know when its uploaded.

I would appreciate if you could provide some feedback about the session (too easy, too difficult, too long, too short, loved it, hated it, fell asleep, useful etc) either by posting here or via email and also if you would be interested in other session like this e.g. from a sport psychologist, nutritionist, practical session for strength exercises.

Lastly, if this rang a bell with you and you now want a more focused and guided approach to implement more strength and conditioning into your training, you have several options: I am working with Letchworth Gym (formerly Pride fitness) to implement a 12-week course specifically for runners soon, plus we are negotiating reduced personal training sessions with Craig. If you wanted to see Rob in Stevenage, his details are on our members benefit website. And last but not least, Karen is also a qualified Strength and Conditioning coach, so do approach her.

Re: Rob Hill team GB presentation

I am also going to demo 2/3 exercises before each Tuesday and Thursday session at 7pm starting this Tuesday with squats, lunges and Romanian deadlift.

What does the 12 week course involve please Astrid I'm looking at upping my training both running and strengthening.
Thankyou for the session it was interesting maybe a little long just in my opinion but I would definitely be interested in anything else you have planned talks wise etc

I found it really interesting and made me think (have booked a physio appointment now I have realised I have had problems with my knee for ages!). I would have loved to have done more practical stuff, examples of exercises and drills, best to assume lots of us don't know anything and start from there.
Thanks for organising!

It was great Astrid...possibly a few demonstrations of exercises in future would also help which I see Karen is offering to do! I came away realising that I couldn't put off the strength training any longer. Found 12 good exercises on coachmag and did my first strength session at home on Saturday. I hated it but knowing that it will potentially knock 5-10% of my times made it worthwhile.

Thanks again!

Thanks for organising this Astrid - it was really interesting, and I was sorry not to be able to stay to the end. I would certainly be interested in the possibility of the 12 week course and the PT sessions, so will look out for more info in due course.

I really enjoyed it Astrid, thanks for organising. I found it really interesting to learn more about the mechanics of running and to understand why strengthening is so important alongside running itself. I was so inspired I booked a session with Karen who took me through a full programme of strengthening exercises, which I can’t recommend highly enough!

thanks all for the feedback and well done to those who have reviewed the way they train - please also see the other post about additional resource for your training

will also let you know once I have detail about the course with Letchworth Gym.