Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Run Through Victoria Park 10K

I thought I'd fit a sneaky 10k in before the MWL starts, just to get into practice - this was also an excuse to meet up with my eldest who lives nearby :smiley:

I hadn't run one of these before, but it was very well organised, flat and fast. There was a half marathon, a 10k and a 5k on offer. Fairly light on club runners, but there were a few there, mostly from London clubs. The start was a bit congested and there was the common problem of people starting in an unrealistically forward position, so I spent the first half a mile or so dodging round people, which was a bit frustrating (note to self: start further forwards next time.) We also had to contend with all the half marathon runners still out on the course as well (they'd started an hour earlier) but the paths are wide and well-surfaced and the course is very flat - hardly any noticeable undulations at all. Three and a half laps,approx, of the park for the 10k - I was very glad not to be doing the half, which was six and a half laps and would have become pretty boring I think, despite the pleasant surroundings. I decided to try and stay with a bloke just in front of me who was running at a good pace (I thought he was a Leighton Fun Runner, but I think he was a London Frontrunner actually.) I managed to stay with said bloke for the whole race, playing cat and mouse - sometimes he was in front, sometimes I was - but he finished just in front of me, and we shook hands and thanked one another for pushing each other on throughout the race! I was pleased to finish in my best 10k time for a while - 50:27 chip time - but reckon I should have been able to manage sub 50 on that course. I'd recommend this to anyone who wants to try for a fast 10k (or 5k, or half marathon if you can stomach the laps.) It's a bit of a trek to get there, but it's a good event (they do lots of these in parks all over London) with a nice medal, if you like that sort of thing, and some nice goodies at the end.

Then it was time for us to head off to a very nice Spanish restaurant for some well-deserved tapas!

Re: Run Through Victoria Park 10K

Congratulations Linda what a fabulous time just 5 days after a tough run on Royston Heath:)