Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Race Result / Report: Greater Manchester Marathon

As far as I aware there were 2 squirrels in Manchester for the ASICS Greater Manchester Marathon, results shown below:

Pos Bib Name Time Cat CatPos Gender GenPos
80 12484 Nick MALPELI 02:44:24 V50 1 Male 76
4442 12407 Chris POOLE 03:59:40 SEN 1259 Male 3654

From a personal perspective I started this with some trepidation, having had that wonderful pre-marathon feeling of a sore throat and headaches, culminating in some less than stellar runs mid-week (those of you who follow me on Strava won't have noticed, as it kindly edits out the stopping 3 times in a 5 miles run because you have no energy). Luckily the timing gods were with me, and was feeling significantly better by Saturday.

Sunday in Manchester was perfect marathon weather - no rain, no wind to speak of, if anything quite chilly at the start. The sun did come out to play during the race, but I didn't feel the need to take off my gloves ! My less than secret target was to go sub 2:45, which I planned to achieve with a steady 6:15 mile pace (luckily its very flat, so no major pace adjustments mile to mile to account for the terrain). As per usual it felt very easy at the start and actually achieved (without trying) 6:13s for a lot of the first 20 miles. The last 6, naturally, became harder and harder, but I didn't slow down too much achieving the 2:45 with over 30s to spare (though I must say it took a looooong time to get to the finish after first seeing it in the distance. New MV50 club record as well.

Thanks to Chris for spotting me as I was on my return leg from Altringham - his shout from the oncoming runners woke me up nicely.

Re: Race Result / Report: Greater Manchester Marathon

Well done both - and particular congratulations to Nick for achieving such an amazing target. I am in awe!

Fab results you two. Well done Nick on going sub 2:45

Well done Nick, sub 2:45 is superb & congratulations on improving your own club record.

Congratulations Chris on your sub 4

2 brilliant times, well done guys!

Well done both of you!

Nick - you are the man! You appear to be getting stronger with this marathon lark. Very impressive, well done!

Congratulations Nick, experience and preparation getting great results!

Dave

2 absolutely great times. well done gentlemen.

Absolutely brilliant, Nick. Nice pacing from Chris as well.

Well done, both!

Nick, Well done on that record .
Dave

Well done both of you. Nick that is massively impressive.. as a fellow V50 I can only dream! Congratulations

Congrats Nick & Chris!
Nick that is an absolutely awesome time! You must be delighted! Well done.

Congratulations on your performances!

Nick - I'm speechless! Truly fantastic and really well deserved! I hardly feel I warrant posting my own effort in the same week!

Chris - well done on slipping under 4 which is the goal for most mere mortals! I hope you enjoyed it!