Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Boston Marathon Results...

... yes, UK not US.

Took a trip up the A1 to deepest darkest Lincolnshire to run my first marathon. Chosen specifically for the flat profile - sorry Karen, whilst I concede that hills do make us strong, I don't love 'em.

It was a really warm day and quite blustery at times, completely different conditions to most of my training runs which were mainly conducted in ice/snow/slush/rain. Despite this I still managed to beat my 20 mile time from Bedford three weeks ago by over three minutes. Miles 21-24 were the worst and I had to give myself several pep talks to keep up the pace. I also had to suffer the indignity of being overtaken by 'Bananaman' at mile 3.

Turns out that 26.2 miles is quite a long way - approximately 13.1 miles too long. I won't be doing another one too soon although I will apply for my annual rejection from VLM - nothing signals autumn more than receiving a no from London.

Thanks to all the Yellows who have run with me over the 530 miles of training, from the ever-presents to the cameos - having someone to chat to/breathe heavily next to made all the difference - you people are awesome! Very special thanks to Brian B. Your support and guidance, always suggested, never instructed, are invaluable. Thank you Coach for being the Shifu to my Kung Fu Panda.

Times:

Myself - 4:28:20 - I was aiming for a sub 4.30 so very happy, especially considering the conditions
Vanessa Rolfe - 5:39:47

And Bananaman? I overtook him at mile 6!

Re: Boston Marathon Results...

Fab time! I got overtaken by a person dresses as a toilet in the last 100m of my first marathon...

Great performance Helen particularly with the warmer than usual conditions. Well done and enjoy your rest and recovery!

Very well done Helen. I did this one in 2016 and thought it was just too flat! You did extremely well on your first marathon. :slightly_smiling_face: I’m sure you will do lots more!

Fantastic Helen, really well done! You've come a long way since you joined the club and 4.28 is a time to be proud of. It once took me 25 miles to overtake someone in a very warm looking lion onsey (in my defence he was about half my age) - and on my 100th Sue and I only just managed to overtake an alligator in the last couple of hundred yards! However I think my greatest indignity remains being overtaken running up a hill at about mile 5 in the St Neots Half by Clive Adams - pushing Oliver in his buggy... I think it was at about that point that I decided short and fast was not for me!

Vanessa - well done! Keep going! The vest is achievable if you really want one - and you are already about half way there!

Well done to the Boston girls

Congratulations! Great time!

I got overtaken going uphill by a very old man dressed as a Greek warrior in barefeet at the Athens marathon last year. Instead of panicking I got my phone out and started taking photos!!! I did overtake him in the downhill in the end...

Fantastic job Helen! An amazing achievement. 👍😀

Great times by both of you.
Must look at this for next year as flat sounds very good to me.

Well done Helen & Vanessa. Helen just reward for all the hard, methodical training you put in over the winter months - Yellow Group mentioned today the 2 laps you did of Grafham in 3 inches of slush to our 1 ! As we saw in Australia, 'just rewards' are really difficult to achieve in a marathon - you could not really have done a lot better.

A fantastic performance in your first marathon, Helen, I hope you are very proud of your hard work and are now celebrating your victory over the 26.2 mile monster!

Training through the cold weather and then having to race in much warmer conditions is one of the hazards of spring marathons, and the main reason that I gave up on them and went for autumn ones in the end.

On the subject of fancy dress runners - I have been overtaken, in various marathons, by (amongst others) someone dressed as a toilet, a beer bottle, a rhino, and a man carrying a fridge. I did once overtake a pair of boobs at Rutland Water though .... :laughing: