Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Training Tues 17th, Thurs 19th & Sat 21st April

Tuesday's session for purple group will be 2/3 x St Paul's 1M loop. This is a traditional 'favourite' loop for the squirrels so we hope you enjoy! Yellow group are in Norton Common for short hill reps whilst greens have a ladder from the Mazda garage of 2 x 5/4/3/2 mins with 60s recovery between each rep. This is run as an out and back session so there is 28 mins of running in total excluding warm up and cool down. Blues have 7 x 800m at 5km/10km pace at Sainsburys.

Yellow group session on Thursday is 4 x 1000m at Standalone. On Thursday I am hoping to run the Balke test at Highfield School track but this will depend on a track inspection! This would be open to all athletes from any group as it involves running as far as you can in 15 mins. This provides an indication of your VO2 max, the amount f oxygen that you can breathe in during 1 minute of maximal work expressed in millimetres per kg per minute. We can then calculate times and distances for 4 key sessions :
Session 1 = running 3 x 1/2 distance covered in 7 1/2 minutes with 1min recovery between each rep. This is 95% of VO2 max and the aim as you improve is to lower to 7mins 15s.
Session 2 = running double the test distance in 33minutes (90% VO2 max) and reducing to 31 mins over time.
Session 3 = working out your average speed for 400m during the test, halving this, minus 8s and then running 200m reps with recoveries starting at 90s and then reducing by 15s to 15s before rising again to 90s. (I remember a famous session at the track where someone had to stop the reps at 28 due to the light! Don't worry that was exceptional, anything above 6 is fab:)E.g. 400m = 60s, minus 8s = 52s, run 200m in 52s and keep reducing recovery until you can't hit 52s.
Session 4 = run 4x the distance in 69mins working to reduce to 66 mins. I find this the most difficult session!
We won't do Balke sessions all the time as there are lots of other great track sessions to enjoy but thought it might provide some interest and way of easily measuring your improvement.
If the track is not cut or it is wet I will offer a 30min tempo run or hill session in the common.

Saturday's track session will be the usual drills followed by 200m reps. £2 payable to FVS please:) Please post if you are coming as Pete and I like to prepare.

Re: Training Tues 17th, Thurs 19th & Sat 21st April

Oh :/ I'd love to do Thursday's session but I'll be flying out for my half marathon. J hope we can repeat the first session another day for those you miss it.

I will be at the track on Saturday

I’ll be at the track on Saturday for drills and a few strides.

So that this Tuesday & Thursday are not similar to sessions last week, I am going to swap the sessions, so:

Tuesday - 4 x 1000 m reps at Standalone

Thursday - short hill reps on Norton Common / option to do the track with Karen if it is happening.

OK folks, the key to a happy summer seems to be to run your 15min Balke test at no faster than marathon pace. Which incidentally should be the same as your half/10k/5k/3k/1500m/mile/100m pace anyway...

Looking forward to it!

Hang on - does this mean Session 4 is running round and round the track for over an hour? That's about lots and lots of laps even for me! Might have to rethink this one...

Probably not best idea to confuse everyone Jo, specifically those new to this.....

Also, the 200m rep session example should be
400m = 60 s (that would be nice!)
Half this = 30s
Minus 8s = 22s for each rep with reducing recovery
(Unless you subtract 8s, then halve it = 26s, which sounds more likely)

Karen, can you clarify?

sadly no track for me Saturday, working at FLM

Apologies for the totally wrong example for the 200m session. The correct figures are 400m in 60s, halve it = 30s - 8s = 22s per 200m eeekkkk!!!! Or a more reasonable example would have been 400m in 2mins (120s), halve it = 60s, minus 8s = 52s:) Run repeats with decreasing recoveries in 52s ..... and enjoy!

I will be at the track this Saturday, thanks

Great Ed, we look forward to seeing you:)

I will be at the track Saturday
Ta
J

Yes, I’ll be at the track

Really enjoyed the sunny track this morning. A great session for enhancing sharpness, range of movement and leg speed, thanks Karen and Pete.