Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Track stats...

Being happy to step aside and let speedy runners hog the inside lane - which makes a huge change from being bibbed, flashed and gesticulated at for cruising in the middle lane - does anyone know how much longer lanes 2, 3, 4 etc are than the presumed accurately measured lane 1? I could probably work it out if I knew the radii of the end half circles and the width of the tracks but I don't so if anyone knows it would be interesting! I know I could use my Garmin but I think it gets a bit confused going round in small circles...

Re: Track stats...

Thanks John - I knew it wouldn't be simple... The 'just under 4m' seems to be for 200m. My interpretation is that if I run in lane 4, each lap will be 423m. Interestingly the article suggests that the inside track may be the shortest but not actually the fastest as the bend is too tight - although I suspect this is only a factor for much faster runners than me! Under race conditions the inside runner also has no-one to chase unless they get overtaken - the pros/cons of this depend on the individual runner's psychological approach to racing but personally I run far better when catching up than when trying to stay ahead.

Re lanes, it suggests that if the session is time rather than distance based then lanes 4-7 are the best choice so perhaps we should all step out of the inside track! I appreciate that it would be tricky on a distance-based session where the rep is more the 1 lap but for time based, as long as the lap length of the lane used is known then calculating the distance run is pretty easy.

If any of our fast runners could be persuaded to try swapping lanes it would be interesting to hear what - if any - difference they find it makes.

A fascinating discussion! Just to say that there is still a football post up on the field so we may well be running in lane 5 tonight! However, I will bring the measuring wheel so all distances will be accurate to its' tolerance.