Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
London GFA Entries changing for 2019

I spotted in last weeks Athletics Weekly that the Good For Age entry times and rules are changing for 2019. I thought I'd post here in case others are not aware. (Possibly not ideal timing given yesterday's brutal conditions).

From the VLM website:

The Good for Age qualifying times for the 2019 Virgin Money London Marathon are:
Men Time (in hours) Women Time (in hours)
Age 18-39 sub 3:00 Age 18-39 sub 3:45
Age 40-44 sub 3:05 Age 40-44 sub 3:50
Age 45-49 sub 3:10 Age 45-49 sub 3:53
Age 50-54 sub 3:15 Age 50-54 sub 4:00
Age 55-59 sub 3:20 Age 55-59 sub 4:05
Age 60-64 sub 3:45 Age 60-64 sub 4:30
Age 65-69 sub 4:00 Age 65-69 sub 5:00
Age 70-74 sub 5:00 Age 70-74 sub 6:00
Age 75-79 sub 5:15 Age 75-79 sub 6:20
80+ sub 5:30 80+ sub 6:40

In addition they are limiting the GFA entries to 3000 men and 3000 women. If more people (of whichever gender) achieve the above times than the 3000 limit, then the times will be adjusted until the 3000 limit is reached (so the above times are not a guarantee of a GFA entry).

Full details on www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/en-gb/how-to-enter/good-age-entry/

Re: London GFA Entries changing for 2019

Yes - I saw this the other day. It does make we wonder whether they will eventually do away with the ballot altogether, so it will be elite runners, championship and decent age-graded runners, a few club runners 'lucky' enough to get one of the limited number of places, with charity place runners making up the bulk of the remaining participants. Almost two different races in effect.

Discuss ......... :thinking_face:

There are other marathons...

Linda
I think you're right. I read somewhere else that another marathon (not sure which one) had a completely different starting point for elites and fun runners. A shame really as decent club runners get squeezed out and then have no incentive to run.

.....and Jo
VLM was the England Athletics marathon champs, so for some people, taking part in a national champs is why they do it...

The number of club places offered has reduced recently too, guess they want to ensure there are a certain number of ballot and/or charity places every year now.

It's a poor show changing it now though, a bit more notice would have been fairer on people who thought they had GFA places after their spring marathon and now don't...

Other marathons are available and are amazing (I really enjoyed Paris!). But there is something about London that makes me want to do it again some time soon...

Mark V
.....and Jo
VLM was the England Athletics marathon champs, so for some people, taking part in a national champs is why they do it...
I can't imagine this change will actually affect anyone who is seriously a National Marathon Championships contender will it? Surely the new GFAs aren't so tight that even potential National Champions won't be able to achieve them?

I do understand that people do like to run in 'Championship' races even if they have no hope at all of winning that Championship but runners are very lucky in that generally speaking there is little restriction on numbers taking part - in most sports one has to qualify to compete in a Championship. I think I've run in quite a few Championship races but it's pretty irrelevant really - it just means it attracts more good runners and so makes me look worse!

Let's face it - London doesn't really want average club runners - it wants the elite and the fund-raising-running-dressed-as-a-teapot-chained-to-an-assortment-of-other-crockery-themed-runners.