Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How to kill an idiot...!

So, any one worked out what the problem is when you run towards the last checkpoint with a big smile on your face holding a tub of melted ice cream knowing that you will be timed out? Yup! The guys decide that you are fit to carry on and give you a choice. Anyone worked out what the problem with giving an idiot a choice is? Yup! They decide to run away as fast as a tortoise running through porridge before the guys change their mind... The last 6 miles were torture...

Hydration wasn't an issue in the heat I was well prepared for that. I didn't get burnt either - my sunscreen was so effective I'm still white! The issue was that I had forgotten that when I'm hot I lose my appetite. That is fine when running a road marathon in 4+ hours (I don't eat much then) but not so good with a hilly ultra of 46km in the Peak District. I ended up very low on fuel reserves and struggling a lot in the last 4 miles. I was feeling sick and shaking. Just need to work out how to overcome that in the future...

So, That was the Maverick Ultra for you!!!

#lastfinisher #ultraphorunning #extremewaytoavoidthefootball #hydratedwell #nofoodnoenergy

Re: How to kill an idiot...!

Official time 9.54.53 ooopsy! Lots of dnfs though, so I guess a finish is a finish!!!

Well done Michelle - I know only too well how tough The Peak District can be! If you 'enjoyed' this you really should give The Leaden Boot a go - the elevation is about the same, maybe a bit more, but it is 3k shorter, half the price, run by locals for local good causes (originally to replace the lead stolen from the church roof - twice...), not quite as far to drive, 5 well stocked check points (fab rocky road at checkpoint 2!), a generous 12 hour time limit and pie and peas at the finish!

Very well done Michelle. It must have been very tough going and congratulations on finishing. These sorts of events are just about that - finishing - not about how long it takes. ⭐️

Loved this write-up Michelle :)