Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lulworth Cove Challenge

Wow what an experience this was! Stunning scenery and with a total elevation of 2351 metres it is probably the second most difficult run I have done. The ascents were strenuous and the descents required some very careful foot placement to keep upright. If you know this area you will have some idea of the terrain.

There were around 60 runners taking part in the marathon which being a trail marathon was not your usual 26.2 but a little over 29 miles. We started at Lulworth Cove and made our way to the world famous Durdle Door. We then headed along the coastline almost to Weymouth before turning back towards Lulworth Cove and along the upper coastal path which gave us some amazing views. This path took us to St Alban’s Head and Poole. A particularly tough section was through M.O.D land. And so it went on with some sections on the pebbled beaches where I felt quite out of place and must have looked a sight for sore eyes to the many sitting down eating their ice creams and enjoying the hot sunshine!

There were seven checkpoints with plenty of water, coke and sweets on offer. The cut-off time was eight and a half hours but fortunately with the hot conditions they extended it to nine and a half hours and I finished in 8.37. Quite a few didn’t finish and so even though it took me a long time I am pleased that I managed to finish and even more so that I somehow got up the very many steep hills and down the other side without falling over! 😀

Re: Lulworth Cove Challenge

Well done Sue. I'm glad you had a good trip! That sounds like my kind of event!

Well done Sue - fantastic - this sounds a great event, I just wish it wasn't so far away!

Sue it sounds amazing. Congratulations!

Jo, one day Sue and I will kidnap you and take you to a distant marathon!!!