Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Winter is coming...

Yes, the daylight is starting to fall earlier and it’s getting cooler, but this is actually great news!!

It’s now only 50 days until the Ampthill Trophy! 21st October. This is a great start to XC, it’s a lovely course in historic Ampthill Park.

We are defending champions

Let’s take the NHRR army back to Ampthill and show them how squirrels run off road!

Even better news, 14 days later is the first Three Counties XC league race. 4th November.

We are defending champions

We were 2nd in the men’s and 2nd in the ladies, a great team performance that won us the league! This is fantastic, but I think we all know that we are capable of winning both the men’s and the ladies and smashing the overall!

Consistently is the key, we need to turn out in force in every race. I can’t wait to see a scurry of cheerful black squirrels spreading across the three counties country side and taking home as much gold as they do nuts and mud. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Time to dig out your studs and spikes... :grinning:

Face paint is available on Amazon, just saying... my Squirrel template is available on request #PatentPending

If you’ve never done cross country before, please ask me about it! It’s enormous fun! There’s a fantastic team spirit. The more the merrier and everybody contributes to the team spirit and atmosphere.

Don’t want to run? No problem, come and cheer! Cowbells are available on Amazon...

Save the dates

4 November - Dunstable
25 November - Wellingborough
16 December – North Herts
13 January – Ampthill
27 January – Wootton

#BELIEVE
#GoSquirrels
#TeamNHRR
#DFYM

Re: Winter is coming...

I'm not gonna be speedy but just like mid week league I want to take part!!

Can't wait, love xc!

The only thing that makes winter worth looking forward to .....:snowflake:

It’s been over 25 years since I ran xc but super keen for getting back out there this season so count me in! Spikes have been ordered...

Nice one guys!

Less than two months now... 58 days. :raised_hands:

Hi John, I’d like to try this, please can help with some advice on the best trail shoes to buy.

Just jumping in Lee to say that last year was my first time running XC and I preferred it to anything else I have done this year. Ampthill Trophy was a reckoning but still my favourite race from the last 12 months. It’s only a tenner.

Shoes wise John is the pro. I bought some innov8 xtalon 200 on sportsshoes.com cheap (around £35) I think at the time and they were more than enough for all the races. Just in the process of dusting them off.

I would also like to know about shoes I have trail runners but do u need anything special

I had actually already signed up for Ampthill Trophy as I did it last year (before joining the club) and loved it!

So does this and the Three Counties XC League work in a similar way to the Mid Week League where members are automatically entered and you simply turn up with your number each race?

Thanks!

Following the advice of a few club members, a couple of years ago I invested in a pair if Inov8 mudclaws which are amazing!

Trail shoes would do but you will probably still slip on the muddier, slipper courses, it depends on how much grip they have...the more grip the better for XC!

Mudclaws are brilliant - I love mine!

Looking at the list of races, the first one is at Dunstable, I think that can be a bit slippy underfoot if I remember correctly but then it also depends on how much it has rained in the weeks before...