Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Pain and Pleasure of the Parkrun!

Decided after a bit of a disaster health wise at the start of the year that I would concentrate on the shorter distances to get a bit quicker. (Could of said to build up speed but judging by some of you lots results lately that is all relative!!!). Still the intention for me would be to have a series of smaller goals to aim for, for this summer/autumn, before the long distance pre-spring marathon slog started.
My first one was to turn back the time to about four years ago and achieve a sub-30 5k. Bit of weight loss (or cut down the curry and beer as it's sometimes otherwise known as), bit of 400/800/mile intervals and a bit of luck and see where it gets me!
Week before last managed a 31:05 which could have been better but starting near the back in Stevenage with a pinch point very shortly after the start can cost you precious seconds!
So, the week before, I decided to move up a bit and go for broke. Unfortunately for me, it did break! After going through the 3k mark in 16:30 (well inside for sub 30) my left adductor decided that it had had enough and called it a day. Tried to run through it somewhat stupidly and still ended up with 34:15.
Fortunately for me I only ended up with a strain (and oddly enough a huge bruise on my inner thigh) that eased quite quickly during the week.
Still, after a week off I managed 31:32 yesterday so getting there.
On a rather humorous note (for everyone else) they always warn you to "watch the bollards" at the start of the race. I didn't take heed of this warning yesterday whilst running with a family member I just looked up to watch them just before the 4k mark and rather ironically told them to stop looking at their phone and watch where they were going and two seconds later..... should have taken my own advice ouch!
If someone has filmed this I demand half of the £250 right now!! (And yes, that probably accounted for another 20 seconds as well)

Re: The Pain and Pleasure of the Parkrun!

Keep going Pat - you'll get there - but mind your bollards!

Pat - it definitely sounds like you are moving in the right direction (unless there's a bollard in the way, of course! :joy: ) But seriously, keep up the good work and you will get there. I don't think I've seen you at training much recently - with all the different groups we have now I'm sure there would be some training sessions that could help with your racing goals.

I was told, I talk a load of bollards!
often.