Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Press Report Week ending Sunday 23rd

Hi!

Please post your race reports from this week's racing action by 8pm this evening and send and pics to paulaschmaula@yahoo.co.uk

I have the 5K series results from Wednesday and Parkruns but please post if there was anything extra special about your run - PB, or a comment you would like to make... etc

Thank you!

Paula

Re: Press Report Week ending Sunday 23rd

Hi,

I ran the Leighton 10 this morning, a hilly 10 miler in Leighton Buzzard which I'd highly recommend, it's fantastically well organised & perfect half marathon preperation.

I finished 2nd in 57:21, a pb by 1:22. Delighted with thst ahead of the Great Eastern half in 3 weeks time

For any parkrun tourists who might be looking for a new challenge, I can recommend the Guernsey parkrun. Course is very scenic with two laps taking in a beach top path and a sand duney common with Napoleonic towers and WW2 bunkers. Not the fastest, but not the slowest either (could imagine it being a lot more challenging in some weathers though!). Anyone who wants to do just one lap can easily stop at exactly 1/2 way.

Did it last week as planned and since we were marooned by the ferry, I got to do it again this week 😀. Seems I was a bit cautious with the pace first time round.

Last week was 4th in 20:10 and second time round managed 3rd in 19:17. Don’t think the improvement was all due to my training and nutrition in the last week!
James Keogh

Ahhh yes but do you have the bit about my spectacular on on Hatfield..... You should cos I told you after lol
But I had set my pace on my watch my plan was to get a sub 32.30 which meant almost another 2 minutes off from previous Hatfield race! I thought it was a big ask but was willing to give it a go 🤔
I even looked into how to warm up pre race as I never bother.
The day came and the wind was aweful I spent all day in training and wasent feeling it... I did my warm up 1k gentle job strides and drills started the run feeling good just rant how I felt never looked at watch the clock said 20 minutes for 3k mark thought ok not sure if I'm doing that great.... Pushed on at about 3 k even more at 4 k finished in 32.12 strava tells me or official time for them was 32.17 I did it nearly 2 and a half minutes quicker!! And still felt like I could have run at a faster pace.... Guess what I'm going for on race 3!!!!

Enfield Race Walking League 1hr Badge Race.
Picketts Lock track
Saturday 22nd September

How far can you walk in an hour? A simple idea behind this historical Enfield League Race.
Last year I had paced my walk to reach 11km, only realising afterwards that finishing on 11.243km I was just 22 metres short of 7 miles, which would have been the better target.
Conditions were perfect this year – cool, little wind and light rain, and Martyn was on hand to give me an indication of my progress against a target of 2:06 laps. I made good inroads into this getting to halfway about 2 minutes up and so I went for my more ambitious target on the day of an unofficial 10000m PB which I passed in 50:30

At the hour I finished second on 11.835km / 7.35 miles

Dave

SHEFFIELD 10K - Flying from Leeds Bradford airport for a week in Guernsey with my sister; on the way home I sneaked in this very hilly run, throughly enjoyed it - time : 65.15, would certainly recommend this event if ever you find yourself up north.

Reminder of the guidelines on names...

I did race 3 of the Silkstone Shuffle series, I finished 8th, 3 mins slower than my March time (Its only 4.5miles) :confounded: . Think I’ve dropped to 3rd in the series now, so hoping I can hold on to that in the final race. Results not published yet, will update when they are, but they are often late Sunday.

Some of the course was recently ploughed and was like running through, well, a ploughed field! Very tough.

Kept myself in the series. Damage wasn’t too bad. Hopefully improve on that in December... I’m still on for a trophy again this year .:pray:

Lucy O’Connor and Brian Judkins ran the Steeple Morden 10K. Very muddy and wet off road course. Tougher than I anticipated. Nice tea & cake provided afterwards.

Times for Steeple Morden are as per Strava:
Lucy O’Connor 55:28
Brian Judkins 1hr:13

Brian also ran the Letchworth Parkrun.in 32:36, his second fastest at Letchworth.

Thx

Tom Webb finished 3rd overall in a field of 500 at his debut half iron man triathlon at the Castle Series Gauntlet event set in Hever Castle. The event comprised a 1900M lake and river swim, 90km bike with 4500ft of climbing and a XC half marathon run all made even more challenging by torrential rain and wind.

A few of us did the St Paul’s Walden 10K today organised by the charity Austism Angels. This took place at St Paul’s Walden Bury (where the Queen Mother was born). It was a really tough course with 7 hills (Dickie counted!). Katie came home First Lady and first for the club, Richard Harbon second for the club, Jo Summers 3rd, followed in order by Jo Harbon, Helen Harbon, Matt Ankers, Sue Foot, Andrew and Pat.

We took a great picture Jo H has it! I can’t remember specific times but everyone did really well!

Re: SEAA Men's vets team, just in case

On Sunday, the club sent a Mens Vets team to the hotly contested South of England Vets 4-stage Road Relay Championships, which was held at Crystal Palace. Running hilly laps just short of 6km, Andrew Leach (19:01), Mark Vaughan (19:41), Matt Sayers (20:15) and Jim McConnel (19:30) made up the North Herts Road Runners' team, and competed strongly against some of the biggest clubs in the country, to finish in second place overall.

Andrew Leach, Mark Vaughan, Matt Sayers and Jim McConnel ventured south of the river Thames to Crystal Palace for the South of England Athletics Association 6 & 4 stage road relays.

Running 4 legs of the 2 lap undulating course in and around the iconic Crystal Palace National Sports Centre as a mens vet 40 team (rather than 6 legs for the senior men) the quartet of squirrels managed to place 2nd overall (yes....second in the whole of the South of England!) taking quite a few scalps of the larger, more established road running and athletics clubs on the way.

On being asked the question "who are you guys?" by some of the more seasoned relay veterans, our reply was "we, sir, are North Herts Road Runners!"

This is the second time in recent years that we have got silver at this race, and it is a special one.

The other teams certainly know who we are now.......

Well done guys!

Mark V
Andrew Leach, Mark Vaughan, Matt Sayers and Jim McConnel ventured south of the river Thames to Crystal Palace for the South of England Athletics Association 6 & 4 stage road relays.

Running 4 legs of the 2 lap undulating course in and around the iconic Crystal Palace National Sports Centre as a mens vet 40 team (rather than 6 legs for the senior men) the quartet of squirrels managed to place 2nd overall (yes....second in the whole of the South of England!) taking quite a few scalps of the larger, more established road running and athletics clubs on the way.

On being asked the question "who are you guys?" by some of the more seasoned relay veterans, our reply was "we, sir, are North Herts Road Runners!"

This is the second time in recent years that we have got silver at this race, and it is a special one.

The other teams certainly know who we are now.......

Well done guys!
Incredible to see little NHRR taking on the big boys & finishing 2nd in the south of England, what a result!

Fantastic team effort, congratulations all!

Well done all! NHRR our in full force in a plethora of events!

What an amazing set of results! Special kudos to our vet men's relay team. Second in that event is hugely impressive.

Well done, all!

Another fantastic week of results from all groups of squirrels:). Congratulations to Adam on your 2nd place at the Leighton 10, a 57 10M is a great marker for your half, and also to the vets team on your stunning silver medal at the South of England Championships, a huge step up in quality and you were equal to the challenge:) To come 2nd to Kent AC is a great achievement. Hopefully we will also be able to challenge for medals at the British Masters Relays in May where age groups are in 10 year bands but starting at 35 for both men and women.