Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MK Winter Half

A couple of us from Yellow Group have entered the MK Winter Half Marathon on Dec 9th. First time HM for me. Any course tips and are there any other NHRRs going for it?

Re: MK Winter Half

one suggestion only: start fast, finish faster :)

jokes apart: make sure you're decently covered for the cold, but not too much (I've seen people running half marathons as if they were out for a polar bear hunt...), since keeping your body temperature at a correct level is paramount. That said, monitor your breathing as well, if I'm having troubles in normal breathing might be because I'm just running too fast and this won't do any good from mile 10 onwards (or even before...).

Other than that: smile, high-five whoever you can, and enjoy every single inch of it :)

and there was I just getting my parka and long johns out of the loft :smiley: Cheers!

The course is a surprisingly nice course given its in MK. It's along tow paths and in the parks. Very little is along the roads.

There is a section that can get flooded and if it's not flooded very muddy.

The main thing is the cold. There is nowhere warm to hang around by the start. It's based in a field (that can also be muddy). If it's wet make sure your bag drop bag is waterproof (it's kept in the tent). There's usually a coffee van but I would get there at a reasonable time to get parked then stay in your warm car for as long as possible. Then wear all the clothes you own until the last possible minute, put it in your waterproof bag, run, have fun and then put all your clothes back on asap before getting into your car and heading to a pub for a roast lunch, cake and a cup of tea!

Thanks Michelle. Some good advice. Hoping for some good weather and plenty of cake...

Hi,
I’m interested in what you said about not on road - does that mean we should be thinking trail shoes or is it more like greenway type surface?

It's on paths so road shoes are fine.