Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Press Report for week ending 2nd Dec

Hi,

Please post race reports below. Usual requests apply: please make sure to include full details, including your whole name, and anything that can be used for a quote is very much appreciated! Please send photos to price.edward7@gmail.com.

Many thanks in advance,

Ed

Re: Press Report for week ending 2nd Dec

Santa canta was a fantastic event a really good turn out considering the weather I didn't santa but I did canta I've always had beef with this course as in I've always hated it the hills felt like mountains in the early days of running.... The grass horrifically physically draining however a challenge in the early part of the year I took part in see how many Laos you could do kinda sorted it for me!
It's still not a go to race for me but each time I've chipped time off it.
This time I went determined to beat it I ran it alone and enjoyed every part of it funnily enough the hills no longer even feel like hills at all the mud was fun I was head down and cantered lol 😂
Coming in I think 123 place out of 199 in a time of 32.16 taking a whopping over 4 minutes off my previous time on that course super chuffed thanks for the event and allowing to smash another goal.

Silkstone Shuffle series

Saturday was the final race of the Silkstone shuffle series.

I finished 10th on the day and secured my series position of 3rd overall and a place on the podium!

My complete series places are;

March 28:30 2nd
June 29:39 5th
September 31:21 8th
December 31:02 10th

The course is the same 4.5M route run four times, once in each season. It’s multi terrain and has a bit of everything, trail, woodland, grass fields, mud fields - but especially hills and mud. Perhaps the best thing I like about it is the several stile crossings. They make it very interesting.

I had a fantastic start this year and I felt that I could go for the overall victory. However, it was with this in mind, training hills too quickly after London Marathon that led to my injury. I was effectively 1st after the start of the 2nd race, but have been slipping down a place each race. After race 3, I was 3rd overall.

Going into the last race, I had a lead of 2:31 over 4th place. However the guy beat me in the last race by 57 seconds. He was also getting quicker as I was getting slower. So I was expecting a real battle to keep my place on the podium.

I actually got a good start and I knew I was ahead of him. At the top of the hill, he was right behind me. We both belted the first part of the descent and he came past me. I jumped right on his back and kept with him. At this stage I had plans on beating him. However it began to feel dangerous at this pace. I deliberately backed off allowing him some comfort. I started to run through how I was feeling. I was working hard, but everything felt fine. But the sensible part of me started to suggest that racing is a bad idea, he needs 2:31 in under 3km and I just need to take it easy.

I said to myself, nothing can stop you now apart from a fall... everything was really slippy. There is some very tricky parts, a wooden bridge over a stream in the woods is very tricky. And several stiles were all super slippy. Even most of the course was slippy wet and muddy surfaces.

Another guy had sneaked in between me and my target but it didn’t concern me until the first stile. He took what seemed like an age to get over it, with me queued up behind him. I thought I need to get in front of this guy before the next stile, which I did.

The next stile came, and along with it disaster! Ironically I was trying to show matey behind how to take a stile quickly. I slipped on the wood and hit the deck hard, but landing on the far side of the stile. I managed to realise I was going down and kind of went with it, I did a bit of a role and got to my feet again. I felt a bit knocked, but got on with it. I felt ok, but decided to take it easy. I counted the seconds I was down... about 15. So thought there’s no need to push now. There’s only a mile left.

The final mile was really enjoyable. I did fight off a challenge from behind in the final field, but wasn’t pushing too much. I finished about 20 seconds down on him.

It was only afterwards that I realised I had plenty of blood coming out of my knee and elbow. And later when I got all the mud off me, I did find bruises and scratches all over me.

That’s by far the worst fall I’ve had as a runner. But could have been much worse.

I’ve done two full series now and picked up 3rd place both times.

This is one of my favourite races, I’ll be back next year, hopefully to improve my position with each race.

Silkstone Shuffle series

Saturday was the final race of the Silkstone shuffle series.

I finished 10th on the day and secured my series position of 3rd overall and a place on the podium!

My complete series places are;

March 28:30 2nd
June 29:39 5th
September 31:21 8th
December 31:02 10th

The course is the same 4.5M route run four times, once in each season. It’s multi terrain and has a bit of everything, Trail, woodland, grass fields, mud fields - but especially hills and mud. Perhaps the best thing I like about it is the several stile crossings. They make it very interesting.

I had a fantastic start this year and I felt that I could go for the overall victory. However, it was with this in mind, training hills too quickly after London Marathon that led to my injury. I was effectively 1st after the start of the 2nd race, but have been slipping down a place each race. After race 3, I was 3rd overall.

Going into the last race, I had a lead of 2:31 over 4th place. However the guy beat me in the last race by 57 seconds. He was also getting quicker as I was getting slower. So I was expecting a real battle to keep my place on the podium.

I actually got a good start and I knew I was ahead of him. At the top of the hill, he was right behind me. We both belted the first part of the descent and he came past me. I jumped right on his back and kept with him. At this stage I had plans on beating him. However it began to feel dangerous at this pace. I deliberately backed off allowing him some comfort. I started to run through how I was feeling. I was working hard, but everything felt fine. But the sensible part of me started to suggest that racing is a bad idea, he needs 2:31 in under 3km and I just need to take it easy.

I said to myself, nothing can stop you now apart from a fall... everything was really slippy. There is some very tricky parts, a wooden bridge over a stream in the woods is very tricky. And several stiles were all super slippy. Even most of the course was slippy wet and muddy surfaces.

Another guy had sneaked in between me and my target but it didn’t concern me until the first stile. He took what seemed like an age to get over it, with me queued up behind him. I thought I need to get in front of this guy before the next stile, which I did.

The next stile came, and along with it disaster! Ironically I was trying to show matey behind how to take a stile quickly. I slipped on the wood and hit the deck hard. I managed to realise I was going down and kind of went with it, I did a bit of a role and got to my feet again. I felt a bit knocked, but got on with it. I felt ok, but decided to take it easy. I counted the seconds I was down... about 15. So thought there’s no need to push now. There’s only a mile left.

The final mile was really enjoyable. I did fight off a challenge from behind in the final field, but wasn’t pushing too much. I finished about 20seconds down on him.

It was only afterwards that I realised I had plenty of blood coming out of my knee and elbow. And later when I got all the mud off me, I did find bruises and scratches all over me.

That’s by far the worst fall I’ve had as a runner. But could have been much worse.

I’ve done two full series now and picked up 3rd place both times.

This is one of my favourite races, I’ll be back next year, hopefully to improve my position with each race.

Sorry for double post. Not used to using my phone on here. The desktop site lets you make edits. It’s just the name I changed.

I took part in the Valencia 10k this morning and ran a new PB of 34:52.

Fast course and a seriously strong field of runners from across Europe. I saw a Bedford and county vest up the top end and a Serpentine runner ran in our extended pack.

Really pleased with my time and the experience of running in the centre of a major European city on closed roads with lots of support is a fantastic one. It really does give you that bit extra.

It’s the marathon weekend out here so I stayed on the course at the 40k mark to cheer home the marathon winners. Watching them glide along is a sight to behold. Also got a wry smile from Robbie Britton as I yelled support at him and saw Steph Twell looking good to.

If anyone ever wants to visit the city I recommend the marathon weekend as the whole place buzz’s with runners from across the globe but you can also take in the city and everything it has to offer at the same time.

Today was the last race of the year, the Bedford Harriers Half Marathon. Described as undulating, it was rather tough, with miles 5 to 9 being mostly uphill and somehow against a beating wind. I felt my legs a bit 'hard', running a race every 2 weeks for the past 2 months without any real recovery hasn't really helped. I finished in 1:34:30, slower than I hoped but all considered a good time. Now it's time to just do some training runs and increase the mileage decently...

I saw a few other squirrels around, thankfully since they carried the NHRR banner much higher than I could possibly ever do...haven't seen the official results yet, will copy them if my kids allow me to later today :)

Thanks for the reports so far.

Forgot to mention: the deadline is 7pm today.

Also, Niccolo is your surname Bassani? Not sure of the spelling, please make sure to include your full name.

Thanks,

Ed

Ah, I always make this silly mistake, yes that's right!

Andy and I both ran the Valencia marathon this morning.

It was a nice event with a lot of drummers around the course encouraging you along. A bit flat for us two though!

Having been off work ill this week I was surprised to get to the start line but we both started and finished. We ran together and got a time of 5.11.26.

Last one of the year. I don't know how Jo and Sue do it!

Bedford Half Marathon

A mild but breezy morning out at the Bedford Half Marathon. This is an undulating course, with all the climbing completed in the first 9 miles , and then a long downhill stretch back to Wootton to finish.

Darren Sunter finished first for NHRR 5th placed overall and 3rd MV35 and Suzy Trott was 2nd FV40.

Results
5th Darren Sunter 1:17:17 3rd MV35
31st Adrian Sherwood 1:27:35
88th Niccolo Bassini 1:34:35
102nd Martyn Annetts 1:35:57
126th Suzy Trott 1:37:54 2nd FV40
282nd Chris Poole 1:48:27
488th Tom Brownlee 1:59:12
577th Luke Callan 2:05:17