Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Press report for week ending 6th January

Please post all your race results and reports here so I can write them up for local media. There will be the County XC Championships, First Saturday of the Month 5k and no doubt more besides.

As ever, please post by 7pm Sunday evening and remember we love to hear all about the experience as well as the result.

Photos, please, to james(dot)walsh60(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk

Thank you!

Re: Press report for week ending 6th January

I did the Bakewell New Year's day parkrun. I had already done it once on Saturday and discovered that the course was straight out and back off road on the Monsal Trail, slightly uphill on the way there and slightly downhill on the way back so I decided to try a bit harder on New Year's day and see if I could start 2019 with a sub 30 minute 5km. It was helpful having run it before and I was able to improve my time by over a minute finishing in 29:14, a great start to my new year of running and RED January!

1st January
Lea Valley New Year Open meeting 3000m Race Walk

(2nd)13:43 PB

Based on recent indoor training I was hoping for a time around this mark although lots of overtaking made it technically more difficult. Still lots to work on but I know I am learning a lot and better understanding the sport.

I made my first +90% age grade which I had narrowly missed as a runner : )

Dave

I did the Flitch Way Marathon on New Year’s Day. This was another out and back course and apart from two miles or so on road the rest was along the Flitch Way, a former railway line running between Braintree and Bishop’s Stortford. I was pleased to have finished in 4.36 nine minutes faster than the marathon I did four days before. 😀

Congratulations David, that's a stunning time and 90% age grading is awesome:)

Hertfordshire County Cross Country Championships

We had a sole lady runner, Ellie Webb, who finished 37th with a spectacular sprint finish to get past a lady she’d been battling most of the race.

Eva McCabe also ran in the junior race.

We had a team of just 6 men, which is all we needed. We just missed out on the gold, but came back with county silver! :sports_medal:

Thanks to supporters, James, Pete, Karen and Sue.

Thanks to Sue for bringing team coffee and cakes!

4th, Tom Webb
8th, Jim McConnel
12th, Matt Sayers
24th, Ed Price
26th, Mark Vaughan
31st, Stewart Overton

Watford Joggers 3;9;11;14;29;37 103
North Herts Road Runners 4;8;12;24;26;31 105 :raised_hands:
Barnet & District 5;15;20;22;30;32 124
St Albans Striders 1;6;16;25;36;41 125
Royston Runners 10;27;35;38;39;44 193
St Albans Striders 42;45;46;50;51;53 287

to add to John's post regarding the Herts county XC Champs, we also had 3 men who were quick enough to receive an invite to run for Hertfordshire at the prestigious CAU Intercounties XC Champs

Well done Tom, Jim and Matt!

Eva finished a wonderful 8th and also received a letter for consideration for the Herts team for the inter—counties race:)

Far too late for the press report. Anyway, I did a bit of Parkrun tourism this week and ran the New Year's Day event at Nostell Priory in South Yorkshire. It was a beautiful run through a gorgeous National Trust estate park, and quite hilly to boot going twice up the hill from the boat house to the obelisk and once up from the boat house to the finish at the stables. The downhill sections were also very steep and technical with one section a series of hairpin bends down the side of the hill. Impossible to get any rhythm or speed through there! I finished in 125th place out of 645 runners in a time of 25:14. Very pleased with that all things considered!