Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Visiting coach

I bumped into Matt S on the train tonight. We were wondering whether anyone who attended the first visiting coach session last week could share any tips or advice he offered and what people learned?

Re: Visiting coach

I was hoping to see a write up on the training page.......

Unfortunately my ongoing illness and most recent eye infection has curtailed my computer activities but I will put together a sheet of A4 and add it to this thread later today:)

Club Run Visiting Coach Session 1 Wednesday 23rd January, 2019
Simon Mennell Head Coach Braintree & District AC
UKA Tutor, UKA Endurance Event Group Coach

Simon opened the evening with a short interactive session where he highlighted the importance of the training triangle of rest, recovery from exercise and sleep, nutrition and hydration and training.

He suggested that too frequently runners were only concerned with training and highlighted the importance of a good balanced diet and particularly the importance of water to hydrate the fascia, other tissues and organs and enable the body to perform optimally.
Simon then went on to talk about the 5 types of fitness:
1. Cardiovascular endurance
2. Muscular strength
3. Muscular endurance
4. Flexibility (mobility)
5. Speed
He felt that it was important that athletes worked on all aspects of fitness and reminded us that the Kenyans would only have 10% of their total mileage as sessions or hard intense work with 90% being about the aerobic engine. We briefly discussed the importance of building and maintaining a body strong enough to cope with the demands of running and the importance of activities such as strength and conditioning work including core stability. However, we also realised that you can work core muscles too hard and if they become overly tight and contracted then this can be detrimental to your diaphragm and breathing.
To introduce the session, we looked at the FITT principle:
• Frequency – how often you exercise,
• Intensity – how hard you exercise
• Time – how long you exercise
• Type – the kind of exercise you undertake

It is important to know why you are exercising and what you want to achieve. It is also important to realise that you get fit though your body adapting to the exercise that you are doing so your training needs to be:
Specific – relevant to your needs and to your running targets e.g. an 800m runner would focus more on speed, speed endurance (alactic anaerobic work) and power whilst a marathon runner would focus on cardiovascular endurance.
Progressive overload – gradually increasing the amount of work but not all at once i.e. if you are increasing your mileage do not increase how hard you are working in sessions as well. Large increases can result in performance plateauing or even declining and overtraining, doing more than the body can cope with, can lead to injury and/or illness. If you know you are going to be increasing your mileage you could include strength exercises such as squats, lunges and calf raises to improve the strength of the muscles in your legs and their ability to cope with such an increase.
FITT – explained above but you can manipulate frequency by training a greater number of times each week. Intensity can be increased by lifting heavier weights or running reps at a faster pace whilst time can be manipulated by running for longer, reducing recovery times or by completing a greater number of repetitions. Type of training can be varied by taking part in a range of activities such as strength and conditioning work, flexibility and foam rolling. Pilates, yoga etc
Individual needs – all training must be appropriate to the athlete, their targets, their experience and their ability and should be designed to enable the athlete to progress and improve.
Rest and recovery – physical adaptations occur during the recovery and non-active rest periods of the training cycle and therefore if there is no rest and recovery the body cannot adapt optimally to the training. There is also no time for micro tears to repair. Good sleep patterns, balanced nutrition and adequate hydration are also key to recovery with protein being important to help repair the damage caused by intense training.
Reversibility – unfortunately if you are injured or ill then your fitness does decline and it is important to build back slowly to avoid repeated illness or injury.
Overtraining – insufficient rest and recovery, too many miles and/or sessions can lead to illness and injury☹

Simon then went on to suggest that it is helpfulin any session to know the purpose of the session from a training point of view and also to focus on 1 technical aspect of form. For this session he chose to focus on arm position. We discussed good form, 90 degree angle at elbow with elbow driving back and arms staying at side rather than wasting energy and crossing in front of the body, and this was included as a focus in drills including moving your arms fast to show that your legs move as fast as your arms😊

Drills included many of the mobility drills that we are already familiar with but Simon always gave the athletes something to do on the way backwards. He also included lunges.

The 800m session consisted of as many reps as athletes could complete in 25mins with 90s recovery between reps.

After the session further discussion included the idea that the amount of static stretching after running should relate to the intensity of the session with shorter stretching, perhaps 5-10s after intense speed work, to ensure micro tears in muscles were not further torn.

Thank you for the write up. Looking forward to the 16th :)

Thanks Karen

Wow Karen, that is a great write-up! Thanks for taking the time to do it while not well. :)

Phil

Track session with visiting coach - 16-Feb-2019
I’m sure there will be a more complete write up but here are my thoughts...
session 30m build into 30m @ max velocity (sets of 4 ) with minute or so walk back to start and 4 mins recovery between sets. I completed 2 sets, most of the group did 3.
Plenty of drills and warm up before the session. Similar to what we already do, so highlights that we are being coached well by Karen and the team. This session is more focused on speed, posture and running mechanics - look forward to building this into our future sessions.

The takeaway for me is that speedwork is an important aspect of your training, whatever your personal targets and running goals.

Echo Matts comments.....great session today with lots of squirrels in attendance.
Always keep up the speed work however unpleasant it might feel. It's too easy just to bang in the mileage, all at the same pace. This may help but ultimately speed work and good form will make you faster.
Hope to see you all there again next week!
Thanks Karen and Pete for organising.

thanks Karen!!