Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Press Report for week ending 19th May

Hello!

Looking forward to hearing all about your highs and lows of racing from the week gone by. Please post all relevant details, full name, time and event by 7pm this evening and send all photos through to paulaschmaula@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks in adavance!

Paula

Re: Press Report for week ending 19th May

Loads of squirrels in the Hitchin 10k this morning - it was a new PB for me (Helen Marson-Smith) coming in at 1.03.12. Nice local race, fairly flat apart from one big hill!

Hi Paula - Three of us made up the club's only team for the British Masters Athletic Federation road relays at Sutton Park yesterday. It's an undulating 5k course around the park - for our FV55 team Lucy O'Connor ran the first leg in 24:51, I ran leg 2 in 26:04 and Karen Dodsworth completed the team results with 27:18. We maintained our team position for the whole race, finishing in 8th place out of 11 teams - competiton was fierce in this cateogory with the fastest V55 woman running 18:45! There were lots of other finishers running 22/23 minute times in this category, so we certainly had some stiff competition on a fairly tough course.

Karen has posted some photos from the event on the club's Flickr a/c.

Stuart cocks done hitchin 10k on only hour half sleep cos of working Saturday night getting in at 5.30 finished in 38th place out of 358runners and also getting a new pb by a minute new time 43.30 very happy with that

Hi Paula,

Harry and Lewina Agius ran in the Hitchin 10K this morning, along with many other Squirrels. Great race conditions - dry, cool, mostly flat, well organised, and great support along the route! Following on from our first HM last week (Greenway Challenge), we were both astonished to hit new PBs - the great training from the club has certainly helped! I finished in 50:33 gun (50:29 chip), Lewina finished in 53:19 gun (53:15 chip).

Harry

Hi Paula,

On Saturday I took on the gruelling Paras 10 in Colchester with my running buddy Lulu – a charity event which is part of the parachute regiment’s active military training. It was a 10 mile course that included river crossings, trudging through swamps and running through military display gunfire and smoke grenades – so a very interesting experience indeed! It was so much fun and Lulu was in her element the entire way. We finished in a very respectable 1h22m and we had a fantastic time! 💪🐾

I was one of the Squirrels at today's Hitchin 10k! I managed to complete in 41:43, my fastest time over this distance since 2013! Lovely course, with only one 'neat' incline and the rest being mostly flat...

Niccolò Bassani 41:43 22nd out of 358

:) :)

I did the Guernsey Ultra 36 today. The first 16 mile section was along the cliff path and nearly every uphill and downhill (of which there many) involved steps - I have never climbed so many steps! The views were stunning from every direction. The second 20 mile section was on the coastal path and was slightly undulating but straight forward and I managed to do this section faster than the first. I finished in 8 hours and 35 minutes. 😊

Paula

Mark Vaughan and Jim McConnel travelled down to Plymouth this weekend for the Ocean City Half Marathon.

This race was an opportunity to qualify for an England Masters vest at the half marathon distance, with runners being selected to run for England at the Maidenhead Half Marathon later this year.

Plymouth is not known for being flat, and so the race proved to be a bit of a rollercoaster ride around the streets of Plymouth and out into the surrounding countryside, leading to a nasty uphill finish at the beautiful setting of Plymouth Hoe.

An early start (08:30) meant the conditions were favourable, with things warming up towards the finish.

A fantastic run by both of us gave the following results:

Mark Vaughan 6th place, 1st MV45, 74 minutes 7 seconds
Jim McConnel 10th place, 2nd MV45, 75 minutes 29 seconds

which puts both of us in line for England selection!

Not a bad performance, with the winning time of 66 minutes 3 seconds and a field of over 3000 runners showing how great an event it was.

Thanks to support from Sue V and to Jim's Dad and sister out on the course.

A great day out!

I have photos which I will forward on to you.

Viv and Lindsey Lucas and Jo Sopala all completed the Wimpole 10k hoohah race this morning. Described by the organisers as a multi-terrain route over uneven ground it's a lovely route up hills through woodland and farmland on the Wimpole Estate. We were all pleased with our times and enjoyed the home made flapjack at the finish.

Times
Viv Lucas 51:55
Jo Sopala 1:12:59
Lindsey Lucas 1:13:43

Opps I forgot my legs hurt so much Hitchin 10k just a week after greenway challenge set myself a time 1.05came in at 104.29 completly over the moon and a PB for 10k of 8 minutes!! Good course with a nasty hill but some downs great morning out.