Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Press Report for Week Ending 26th May

Hello!

Please post your amazing stories below by 7pm tonight. Lots of MWL to talk about etc. Please email any photos to d.weston@outlook.com

Thanks!

Re: Press Report for Week Ending 26th May

Today I ran the Simply Health Birmingham Great 10k - this was the 10k Age Group Masters championships organised by England Athletics, which I qualified for in my F60 category back in December. Although I'd trained quite well for this over the last few weeks, on the day there wasn't much glory for my lovely new England vest as I've struggled with a cold, cough and being generally unwell for the last few days. I knew I wouldn't be able to achieve the result I'd hoped for, but I gave it my best shot anyway! It's a very big race, a huge event with closed roads through the streets of Birmingham. The course is out and back, and is definitely undulating! The Masters athletes set off ahead of the mass start, which is nice for a while until all the fast runners from the second wave catch up! I wasn't the last Masters athlete to finish, but I don't think there were many behind me... Considering my struggles over the last few days, I was satisfied to finish in 52:48 (Garmin time - haven't seen official results yet.) A bit disappointing not to do better justice to my England vest, but that's the way it goes sometimes! It was great to see Jo Pavey on the podium for third placed woman. I have a photo (of me, not Jo!) which I will email to you, David.
Thanks, Linda Aird

Mwl for me found it quite tough after long workings days also I don't cope with any kind of heat I started feeling good then by about 6k I was fading was pushed along by other lovely runners and also some yellows was a little dissapointed in myself I was in front of a few that ended up finisjing in front of me when I shouldn't have let them but still lSt year did it in 1.13 this year official time like 1.07 so you could say I've improved considerably just needto remember I can run faster now but not for distance! I know what I need to do never be dissapointed though with a huge 6 minutes PB question is do I brave the next one!!

So this morning sophie thrussell and i caroline thrussell ran the Edinburgh marathon. After being advised of adverse weather conditions we went prepared with our dustbin liners and the weather didn't disappoint at the start with sideways rain and blowing a hooley. First 5 miles were loosely downhill before hitting the coast where the sun came out and the wind seemed to drop. Realising later at mile 18 as we turned into a strong headwind that it was just blowing us along gently. So that was the low point for me -slightly undulating, relentless head wind and oh so tired legs. It was this point that I realised target 1 was unachievable but still had my sights on target 2. Sophie overtook me at mile 24 and did brilliantly for her first marathon to finish in 3:32:40 (I think) and I followed in at 3:33:58. Very pleased to have a 13 min PB, and (sorry sue foot) club age cat record. I'm so proud of my niece 😁 and we will be celebrating I feel with a few beers tonight.

Oh and I was 3rd fv55 😊

I ran in the British Masters Championships wave at the Westminster Mile, in a time of 4:51. It was a strong field of vets, along a scenic course, with loads of support from start to finish. Great to take part in an event that celebrates the iconic mile, definitely recommended!

Caroline
Oh and I was 3rd fv55 😊
That's brilliant both of you!