Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Press report for week ending Sunday 9th June

I am on press report duty this weekend, so am looking forward to hearing about your results and achievements - the more colourful your reports the better!

Please here by 7pm on Sunday so I can include you in the write-up and please send any photos to me at james.walsh60@yahoo.co.uk

Thank you!

Re: Press report for week ending Sunday 9th June

Farthingstone Foot Fest in rolling Northamptonshire for me. Sue will verify that Northamptonshire may only be 'rolling' hills but this particular event is quite a toughy even without the rain, the wind and the cold. It was muddy and slippery and there are approx. 44 stiles on the first half. When I got back to the start at half way before setting out on the second loop I was so cold that I did consider stopping but knowing how cross I would be with myself later I dived into the hall, gave my number and set off again before I could change my mind.

I caught the lead runner at about 23 miles, chatted briefly (having buried my dad on Wednesday I wasn't in the mood for company or conversation) and carried on feeling a bit mean that he had led for so long and had now been overtaken by a middle aged 'chick'. He caught me up as I was untying a gate into a field and retying the rope as a loop to make it easier for later runners but instead of helping he just climbed over the fence and ran off. Big mistake. I don't take kindly to people who lack respect for farmers' gates and fences so set off after him, overtook (after correcting his route for him!) and kept going. Annoyingly for other runners I'm always pretty strong in the last 6 miles so he had no chance!

First finisher in 5 hours (27.3 miles). That's first finisher - not first lady...

Certificate actually says 4.58 but that is based on what the village hall clock said when I got back to the desk (13.58) and we probably didn't start when it said 9.00 as we were outside and the clock is inside so I'll be honest and go with my Garmin time of 5 hours and 40 seconds!

Fantastic Jo and well deserved for doing the right thing with gates.:grinning:

Brilliant Jo! I remember doing Farthingstone - it took me much longer in much drier conditions! 😊 congratulations on being first overall!

Two of us ran the St Albans half today, Helen Govey (2:21:32) and Ali Mottram (2:32:37 pb), it was hot and hilly but there was an ice lolly at the end! As an event it was lovely with great support, motivational pacers, lots of marshalls and an incredible number of water stations.

JERSEY HALF MARATHON - nipped over to the Channel Islands for a few days with the old man to spend a few days relaxing & to run this event. Had a lovely half marathon definitely recommend it (as I do with everywhere I run) lovely course & the surprise at the end, if you attend the prize giving, even if you haven’t won anything, there is free booze & food for all. Quite a few large glasses of white wine & tuna sandwiches later finally straggled home for hot shower & afternoon nap. Finished in 2.25.59

James W
I am on press report duty this weekend, so am looking forward to hearing about your results and achievements - the more colourful your reports the better!

Please here by 7pm on Sunday so I can include you in the write-up and please send any photos to me at james.walsh60@yahoo.co.uk

Thank you!
Milton Keynes Race for Life- 10K
An emotional start with a minutes silence for all loved ones who had been lost to cancer.
This certainly was not a race about time for any of the runners/walkers, and in fact there was no timing of the race, however, my own watch showed I limped home (with blisters from my new Gel insoles!) in 1.03.36. Not a PB but glad I took part.

That sounds and amazing achievement. Well done. Inspirational

Great reports, all. Am enjoying writing them up for the nation's media.

Extra marks to Jo for a first-place finish and definitely plenty of 'colour'.

Thank you!