Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Press report for week ending 1st September

Hi all,

Please post your race reports below. Please include your full name and all relevant details. The deadline is 7pm tonight, and the email for photos is:
john.michael.auld@googlemail.com

Many thanks in advance
John

Re: Press report for week ending 1st September

Yesterday I completed the Bedford Twilight 10k in a time of 51:14 which is my new PB. Perfect running conditions for me and I always seem to run faster in the evenings. I’ve sent a photo to you email.

Tuesday 27th August
Vets AC 5 Mile Race Walk
Battersea Park

Very warm evening for the last of the Vets AC summer series

1st 38:11 PB

------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday 31st August
L.I.C.C. + Enfield League 5000m Race Walk
Allianz Park Barnet

2nd 24:07.10

Dave : )

Re: Press report for week ending 1st September and

On Saturday, Susan Mansfield & Mike Bullock , resident ultra-runners, and new to the Squirrels, took on the St Albans Stampede, a lapped 12 hour Ultra...as many laps of the 4 mile off-road hilly course before our legs fall off.
Racers can enter in relay teams or as solos....obviously we took the most painful option and ran the whole day as solo entrants
Awesome organisation ....unlimited bacon butties, pastries and hot drinks as you can eat before the start. All day, the organisers laid on great food (free and bounteous), so it’s like a 12-hour all-you-can-eat-eat Buffet
Probably too hot for a long run, not much shade, and too many hills for a super-fast time, but a great start to the ultra season before attacking our Autumn race schedule

Between us we managed a respectable 170km , well inside the 12 hour cut-off...so 34 consecutive Park-Runs. !!!!

Delight at the finish....Free Beers and Domino’s Pizza for all !

For £45 would thoroughly recommend this as a local race

Hi John,

A good week for me. Having targeted the Hatfield 5K to go sub 19 I was delighted to get 18:35 as a new PB. It was great having Sibbo to follow/work with through the race which kept my effort levels up as I was flagging mentally at different stages.

Then went up to Bedford for the Bedford Half this morning. I was hoping to go sub 90 but wasn’t sure what I had in me especially after pushing hard on Wednesday night. I went out too quick (normal) and started to suffer at 8 miles. Splits went down hill but I still knocked 4 mins off my previous best finishing in 1:32:34. It’s a lovely race all through Priory Country Park but is a little bit crowded when the course loops on itself and the faster runners have to pass the slower runners for about 4 miles. Best not mention the carnage at the 1st water stop with the fast runners trying to get past people queuing for water on a bend. Complete bottle neck.

Cheers

David Weston
Hi John,

A good week for me. Having targeted the Hatfield 5K to go sub 19 I was delighted to get 18:35 as a new PB. It was great having Sibbo to follow/work with through the race which kept my effort levels up as I was flagging mentally at different stages.

Then went up to Bedford for the Bedford Half this morning. I was hoping to go sub 90 but wasn’t sure what I had in me especially after pushing hard on Wednesday night. I went out too quick (normal) and started to suffer at 8 miles. Splits went down hill but I still knocked 4 mins off my previous best finishing in 1:32:34. It’s a lovely race all through Priory Country Park but is a little bit crowded when the course loops on itself and the faster runners have to pass the slower runners for about 4 miles. Best not mention the carnage at the 1st water stop with the fast runners trying to get past people queuing for water on a bend. Complete bottle neck.

Cheers
Completed two races at the Bedford festival on Saturday did the 10k in a PB of 53mins 32seconds and then on Sunday did the Bedford half marathon in a PB of 2 hours 10mins 20 seconds

John A
Hi all,

Please post your race reports below. Please include your full name and all relevant details. The deadline is 7pm tonight, and the email for photos is:

Many thanks in advance
John
Completed the 10k at the Bedford festival on Saturday in a PB time of 53mins 32seconds and then completed the Bedford half on Sunday in a PB time of 2 hours 10mins 20 seconds

England vs Celtic Masters, Maidenhead Half Marathon, Sunday 1st September

Having qualified for my first England vest to run for England Masters at the half marathon distance, I ran the Maidenhead half marathon today as part of the England Masters team against the Celtic masters team.

It had been a long time since I qualified at the Plymouth Half earlier this year, and my main objective was to arrive at Maidenhead injury free after the various midweek league and track races during the summer, which normally take their toll on the body.

Well, it didn't quite go to plan, as I have had a foot problem since Trent Park midweek league, but I was undeterred, and actually my main problem was picking up a cold in the last few days which doesn't make for good running!

Anyway, we set off on a fairly flat course, very busy at the start with a few twists and turns (think Stevenage underpasses!), then out onto the roads around Maidenhead. It was quite warm but I managed to keep an even pace on the slightly undulating roads, reaching 6 miles in just under 34 minutes, and 10 miles in around 55 minutes. This is where it started to get harder, and the last few miles were a bit of a drag back to the town centre, with a slightly uphill sprint finish which didn't help.

Quite happy with my result, though:

For the main race:
15th overall, 1:12:48, 4th V40

For the England Masters Team:
6th overall, 2nd V45

Bit disappointed that they were not giving out medals for the first 3 in each category in the masters race, as Karen had told me to get on the podium! Bit difficult if they only give out Gold Medals and not Silver and Bronze!!

A good day out with some quality runners.

Other runners from the club (I will let them tell their story):
Adam Bowller 21st, 1:13:50
Jane Clarke 848, 1:51:23

And before I forget.....I also ran the Hatfield 5K race on Wednesday evening, placing 7th (I think) with a time of 16:38

Not a bad week........

When I hurt my achilles at Trent Park, I booked into all 3 races at Bedford Running Festival hoping that I’d be able to at least one of them and thinking that my September marathon was off. Roll on 7 weeks, I managed to do all 3. Saturday 5k 24:56, 10k 51:09 to tune up and Sunday half marathon, 2:10:56, as a long slow run to get the benefit of the cumulative fatigue from Saturday. Total of 22.4 miles banked and now tapering for North Norfolk Coastal marathon.

Dunstable Downs Challenge for me (and a few others!) today. I haven't done this for a few years and thoroughly enjoyed it. Lovely route, perfect running weather, spectacular views, good company, plenty of hills, what more could I ask for? I was put in my place a bit at about mile 15 when I passed someone wearing a T-Shirt from yesterday's St Albans Stampede. My 'reason' for not having run DDC for a few years has been that I have run the Stampede the day before. I have always run the Stampede as part of a team of 8. This chap had run it solo - 18 laps/72 miles - and when I passed him today was at mile 21 of the Ultra option...

Finished in 4.19 which I was pretty happy with although this year was a lot easier than usual as the route was very well marked so there was little need for the route description.

I ran the first Hatfield 5k series race on Wednesday in a time of 23:40. As I do love a good 5k I also decided to also treat myself to stevenage parkrun on Saturday and achieved a new PB on the course of 23:49 and was third lady to finish. Finally, I did the Bedford half marathon this morning (Sunday) and despite a spectacular and embarrassing tumble at around the 10 mile mark (very luckily during a grassy section!) I got a time of 1:51:30, which I was very pleased with as I was aiming for under 2 hours. Lovely course through priory park, and v well organised, with an excellent weighty medal and refreshing free beer (non-alcoholic but still nice!) at the end! :smiley:

Not much to add to what Mark said already. Whilst it was by no means my best performance it was a great experience to run for the England Masters team & a proud day with the family coming along to support

On Wednesday, Harry and Lewina Agius ran in the Hatfield 5K Series and both managed 5K PBs: Harry in under 24 mins for the first time (23:56) and Lewina in under 26 mins for the first time (25:55).

Lewina then went on to continue her goal smashing with another PB in the Bedford Half Marathon this morning, achieving sub 2 hours for the first time (1:59:39). Quite a few squirrels were at the event - I'll email a photo.

Dunstable Downs Marathon for.me too. I finished in 5.07.

I don’t envy you trying to squeeze this lot in this week John!

I too attended the Bedford festival this weekend, there were lots of us there. Results below for my car buddies and I, since I don’t know who else would want to be included and equally wouldn’t want to miss anyone!

For me, it was a lovely weekend spent running and with friends. The course was scenic, footpaths and tracks along rivers and lakes with the odd bridge to cross. As a bonus I’m particularly pleased with my half finishing time!

Thanks
Ali Mottram

Bedford Running Festival 5k 31/08/19
Helen Govey 28:06
Andrew Cooper 26:09
Ali Mottram 34:30

Bedford Running Festival Half Marathon 01/09/19
Helen Cromack 2:33:01
Anna Greetham 2:32:59 (PB)
Ali Mottram 2:27:41 (PB by over 4 minutes 😃)

John A
Hi all,

Many thanks in advance
John
I ran the Hatfield 5k series on Wednesday Getting a new pb of 21.55. On Saturday I ran the Bedford twilight 10k getting a new pb of 48.38. Very pleased with both results.

Two local races for me (James Keogh) this week, first being the Hatfield 5 k, which I hadn’t done before, and second being the 10th Duck n’ Dash (400 m swim in the Letchworth outdoor pool; 5 k run on similar route to FSotM), of which I’ve done them all before (the first one was even before I was a member of the club).
With Hatfield being after work, I was a bit tired, but still enjoyed the fast and flat nature of the course. Duck n dash conditions were perfect. I always enjoy this race, probably for the novelty value of the swimming element with the familiarity of the common, that’s after the short (or not so short) interlude to get shoes/socks/vest on. Although it’s not my fastest effort, it’s still faster than my first 10 years ago; obviously that’s down to consistent NHRR training over the years(!)
Hatfield 5 k, pos. 53rd, chip time 19:08.
Duck n dash: pos. 15th. Swim time, 8:16; transition 1:10; run, 21:20; total, 30:47.

Yes John definitely drew the short straw on the press reports rota!

Just want to say what a fantastic set of results this is - everything from NHRR members representing England to 5k PBs and Parkruns. Well done everyone!

And no one even mentioned the Letchworth Duck and Dash which quite a few of us took part in and someone (not me) got on the podium! Too late for the report but well done everyone!