Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Press report for week ending 8th September

Hi all,

Please post race reports below, including full names, all relevant details and quotes that are both witty and thought-provoking, as well as life-affirming and insightful. The usual, basically. Any photos, please email to price.edward7@gmail.com.

The deadline is 7pm.

Thanks in advance,

Ed

Re: Press report for week ending 8th September

On Saturday I ran the Silkstone Shuffle. This was race 3/4 in the series.

On the day I finished 7th and I’m now 4th in the series!

It was a lovely morning actually. Lovely sunshine and a dry course. Going into this race I was 7th in the series by a single second, so I planned to be at 6th after this race...

Foolishly I’d forgot to look up who I was supposed to be beating, so I didn’t know who it was. I did have a race on my hands with a few guys, and I came out on top in the last mile. Looking at the results afterwards, these were in fact the two guys ahead of me in the series, so pleased to beat them. I moved up one place and I’m now 7 seconds ahead of him. It’s close!

In the last couple of km one was right on my back and I was thinking he’s just doing to me what I normally do to others. He’s planning a big finish to beat me... I was pushing but wasn’t working... so the last couple of stiles I took by jumping straight over them, with an hand on each post. This gave me a gap as he took them more safely. I then had a nice strong finish to make it stick.

Anyway, two of the other series guys ahead of me weren’t there! Result! So I moved up another two places into 4th. You’ve got to be in it to win it!

4th is currently the first senior man outside the top 3, so in December I have 7 second lead over 5th to defend - should be a good race - just how I like it! 4th would be fantastic result for me this year given my first race performance where I was approx a min/mile slower than race 3.

Hopefully this will be the start of a good winters training and I’ll be in better shape for the series finale!

Thanks to all my training partners.

#TeamNHRR

I was one of a number of Squirrels who took part in the Baldock 5k Rat Run. Time: 24:15 (unofficial). A really nice course and perfect running weather.

Lucy O’Connor

Tuesday 3rd September

Woodford Green Open

3000m Race Walk

Last of the Tuesday night summer races

3rd 13:47

Dave

I also took part in the Rat Run - time of 29.51 which is my second-fastest 5k time. It was a fun and lovely race, and very well organised.

Sorry didn't put my full name on my last post...

Four happy squirrels ran the Wetherby park run on way to family wedding
Katie First Lady 1945
Richard 2057
James Berry 2411
Matt Ankers 2445

Set on picturesque but dull football pitches this is 3 la course. Maybe won’t rush to do it again.
Great wedding though

Dear all 14 squirrels took part in the second running of the Baldock rat run this morning on a beautiful day and great course there were some outstanding results all proceeds going to garden house Hospice care
Peter Clark first man home and winner 1840
Ian Datlen 5th 2013
Richard Harbon 2103
Rhia Botha First Lady 2126
Paula Holm third lady 2158
Andrew Coates 2227
Steve Brenton 2251
Lucy OConnor 2421
Andrew Cooper 2527
Alan Hazelhurst 2650
Sherryl Chatfield 2720
Helen Marston Smith 2956
Brian Justin’s 3249
Helen Govey 3436

I saw Ian Sutcliffe there as well but can’t see your result. If there is anyone else I have missed I am sorry too

Richard

I travelled to Salford Quays to run the UKFast Salford 10km. This is a fast, fkat course although y9u had to have your wits about you due to Hugh kerbs, twists and turns and bollards at the exit to the bridge as you were giving it your all with 100m to go. This was an England Masters qualifying race and I was racing to see where I need to get to in order to qualify in my age category; the answer was over 2 minutes faster! However, I ran a seasons best 38.30, achieved the 39min qualifying tine and was 4th in my age group. 2nd & 3rd V55s bath ran a chip time of 36.03 so lots of work needed without getting injured in the process. Good to see another distinctive NHRR vest as Chris Poole was also racing.

DRAYCOTE WATER 20 MILE - Sunday 8th September
Never done this one before & although it was 4 times round the reservoir it wasn’t as boring as it sounds & very happy to finish in 3:46:54 Category FV60 - Position 3rd

BEDFORD HALF - Sunday 1st September
Apologies, forgot to put this information on last week, finished in 2:22:34

I ran the Salford 10k today and so did Sibbo.

I ran it in 46.04

Sibbo ran it in 38.30

A lovely sunny day in salford.

Yesterday I ran Thames Path Challenge 100k, fundraising for Mind. An incredibly well organised challenge series with over 3000 participants, 1000 doing the full 100k.
A 100k is not for the faint hearted and having 9 months of training under my belt I’m really pleased to say I finished in 14 hours 57 minutes, 25th lady and 123rd overall.
The support from well stocked rest stops, family and friends made all the difference - and a special thanks to all the squirrels that have trained with me!

I did the Iceni Festival half today. A tough run round the town then out and around an RAF base which was an undulating track comprising Brekons sandy and loamy soil. This was fortunately booked for me by my son as a birthday present as, if I had seen it myself, I would have have gone for the full marathon option (there was also a 10k at the same time) and I may not have finished it!. Fortunately because this turned into quite a tough run. Only the first 8 finishers managed to go under 2 hours with the winner coming in at 1:38.
Considering the weather was almost perfect and there were virtually no hills then I can only put this down to the conditions underfoot. Even so, my slowest half time ever at 3:28.

I ran the great North run today, a fantastic race, really good fun.
I finished in 2:20:21 which is a me post injury PB by just under 11 minutes.

amazing results - well done all

Yes I did compete in the Rat Run and my time was 27.13 and 1st MV70