Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Press report for week ending 13 October

Hi,

Please post race reports below. Please don't forget to include your full name and all relevant details. Juicy quotes always welcome, as are pics (email: price.edward7@gmail.com). The deadline is 7pm this evening.

Thanks in advance,

Ed

Re: Press report for week ending 13 October

From last week...

Sunday 6th October
20k Race Walk, Tilburg, Netherlands

I have recently taken a job in Amsterdam and this gave me the opportunity to travel south to the town of Tilburg where various Dutch, Belgian and Danish championships were held at distances from 10k to 50k. The feature race was the 50k attracting a mixed international field. I was in the 20k: 12 and a bit laps of the cycle race track on a very wet afternoon. I'd missed out on domestic races at this distance in the spring through injury so it was a great opportunity to translate recent form into a performance at a longer distance.

A mix up from the officials lap counting meant I was asked to race an extra lap but I continued and saw my time adjusted afterwards.

I finished second in the men’s race in a new PB of 1:43:34

Thanks to Clare who got soaked but gave the support essential on longer races.

--------------------------

Saturday 12th October
Enfield Race Walking League 5 Miles

A close race with George Wilkinson who got away over the last 1/2 mile
2nd 38:20

Dave

SOFIA HALF MARATHON - Sunday 13th October
Here I am in Bulgaria, 2 weeks after my wonderful Warsaw Marathon in glorious sunshine, temperatures 25/26 degrees for the run but the route was kind & happy to finish in 2.24.36. Interesting place, it’s very very old but they do keep the sunshine a lot longer so that’s a plus, not looking forward to returning to UK weather

Oxford half today, took 10 mins out of my PB with a 1:47:44

It was wet. Really, really wet.

I took part in the Oxford Half Marathon. This was my first ever half marathon and was hoping to be around the 2 hour mark. I finished the race in 2.07:54. The weather was far from ideal with torrential rain for the first 10k. The race was going well up until the 9 mile marker but then I just ran out of legs. Pleased with my effort tho.

I also took part in the Oxford half marathon today. The weather was bordering on the ridiculous (rain, rain, and more rain, followed by a deluge, a monsoon, more rain, and just for variety a little bit extra rain). I was soaked through before we even started. Despite the conditions and dodging puddles, rivers, lakes, and oceans, and simultaneously dealing with a slight wardrobe malfunction (note to self: buy some better shorts that don’t threaten to fall down when they get wet!), I was very pleased to get a new post-injury PB of 1:49:13. It was also a very well organised and fun race, despite the weather, and I really enjoyed it. Lovely flat course through and around the beautiful city of Oxford, with fantastic entertainment and support all the way around. It was also great to start the race with fellow squirrel Dave Braybrook and see him complete his first half marathon in such challenging weather conditions!

Will email a photo.

Thanks!

Kat

On Saturday morning, while the running world watched intently as Eliud Kipchoge attempted to run the marathon distance in under 2 hours, at the Great Denham parkrun, Sue Vaughan was attempting a record run of her own.

With neither a spring loaded, neon pink running shoe, nor an army of elite level pacers anywhere to be seen, Sue was attempting to break her own club age group record of 27:56 at the parkrun distance.

Paced round the fast flat course, in perfect running conditions by an England International athlete (her husband Mark), Sue started off well inside her target pace, slowed a bit in the middle of the race, but then with some fairly vocal encouragement from her pacer, rallied in the final mile to finish in a new Personal Best, and new club record of 25:35, which placed her first in her age group.

Unlike Kipchoge’s run, Sue’s time is an officially recognised record and when interviewed after the race, Sue commented “No Human Is Limited”, before retreating to the local café for a celebratory breakfast

Well done Sue!

Hi

I ran a marathon in 1:59:40 on Saturday morning in Vienna......honest!

Does this count as a record?

I can prove it.....it was on the telly!

sorry Mr Kipchoge

I have spoken to Roy Castle, and I'm afraid we can't ratify this.

You will have to try again!

What's your surname Steve?

Took my club vest on its first outing today to run my first 10k race at Victoria Park in London. Was aiming to get under an hour and ended up finishing in 57.04 mins so i’m happy with that! It was nice and flat and the rain eased off after the first 3k.

I went and run haverhill parkrun on Saturday was a 3 lap course in 22.19 finished in 7th place and first in age category was very pleased

Completed the Royal Parks Half Marathon today in 2.22 which is a PB for me :)

Was a lovely course and got to take in all the sights. Great support around the course and even Extinction Rebellion stopped their protesting to give us all a great big cheer! Luckily, the rain kept away up until the last 20/30 minutes or so but it was a welcome refresher!

Thanks,
Dani

Sorry, it's Steve Brenton