Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Running after injury

Hi all,
I’ve been injured since June with a torn planta fascia, but have just had an ultrasound and have been given the all clear and so can start running again. Does anyone have any experience of running again after a similar injury ? I’m now running up to 3 k In distance which is pain free, but am worried about over doing it and re injuring myself. All advice welcome, thanks in advance. Lee

Re: Running after injury

Hi Lee,

sorry to hear that you were injured but good news you can run again! I am not a sports therapist but from personal experience (and everyone is different).... don't rush it! Just take it slow, a step at the time. I had a similar calf injury, not as bad but bad enough and the first time I upped my mileage too quickly and it popped again. Second time round I was very careful, no speed work, no hills. Good warm up, I was even using a wheat bag to warm up the muscle before going out for a run.
I didn't run every day, have one or even two days inbetween. Up your mileage gradually 10% at a time. If you feel any sort of pain stop and rest more days.
I can't remember when I introduced speed and hills but maybe seeing a sports therapist will help because they'll tell you how to return to your pre-injury activities. I folowed his advice.
Good luck!

With my achillies the key was avoiding hard acceleration from a standstill. Gentle warm ups and gently building up to whatever speed was comfortable on the day, it took serious self discipline for me!

Good to hear that you are running again. Normal disclaimer that I’m not qualified but runners advice after I also was out with PF is that even though it’s gone, keep doing the plantar rolling, toe bending, calf stretching etc everyday. I’ve been back running 8 months now and still doing them.
Obvious second bit of experience based advice-build mileage/speed slowly over say 3-4 months.
Steve McK

Good to hear you are coming back Lee, we missed you. In addition to the advice above, if you not already have done so, check with your physio a) any muscular imbalances that may have been the reasons why the injury occurred in the first place and b) any imbalances that have developed secondary to the injury. I dont know who you are seeing by Caroline Wilson is excellent at checking how your body functions as a whole.
Also, the only way to come back fast is to come back slow. Dont increase your weekly milage too quick (I think 10% per week is something people recommend). It will feel boring but its too easy to up the milage fast and then get set backs.
Good luck