Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
marathon advice pls (not where but when)

Hello,

I need a bit of advice especially from the coaches and experienced marathon runners please. I want to book a marathon for 2020 (my 6th). I have just done Budapest on 27th September where I was aiming for sub 4 but I was unwell when I ran it so I did it in 4h24min. My PB is 4h:11. Four weeks after Budapest I did my first ultra, the Stort30 and used themarathon as a slow training long run vor the ultra.

My options are Seville on 23rd February or Puglia, Marathon of the Cathedrals on 3rd May.

I was thinking that I have more chances to succeed with a sub 4h PB in May because I can now rest a little, pick up speed sessions and hill training again and also get back into core fitness and focus on a good chunk of training in Spring.
Or... is that too far away and should I register for Seville as I already have the distance training fresh from the ultra and the marathon last month? Although my running has been very slow....

I am confused but I think May is the solution. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Re: marathon advice pls (not where but when)

Manchester is in April! Probably as good a course as any for a shot at a quick time.

Thanks Darren, we were also talking about MK yesterday but I am thinking I do like the ones abroad as I get a weekend away with it too and get motivated running through a city I haven't seen. Just need to decide wheather I should continue training and go for Seville in 3 months (although I am sluggish now) or rest a bit from races, focus on core strength, do some speed training which I enjoy and start ttraining in February for the 3rd May Marathon....

Angeliki, I think you have answered your own question: rest a bit, focus on core strength, etc., which you enjoy, and start training in February for 3rd May! Speaking as an older person who has never followed a training plan (not advocating that at all!) listen to your body and if you feel sluggish and in need of a rest, then rest. May is a lovely time of year for a marathon. Good luck! :blush:

Hi Angeliki, If you recently ran a marathon then I would suggest taking a little time & letting your body freshen up.

Some core & strength work over the winter is a good idea, plenty of hills & some XC will get you strong. That will put you in a good place to increase your mileage next spring & build a good aerobic base, speed is the cherry on top of the cake & the thing you should focus on last

Hello,

Thank you all. I have indeed decided to focus on general fitness for now, keep my mileage at a decent enough level with quality sessions rather than quantity and maybe do a couple of shorter races in the meantime.

I'm booking the marathon of the cathedrals then in May. Decided :)

The only issue is that running in May in Southern Italy you risk a scorching heat to be your faithful companion...

Niccolo' I know, I was thinking abouT that. I was hoping for 25 Celsius which I can manage but who knows, in past years that's the average. They've had rain before too. But luckily it is next to the sea :)... maybe a dip straight after?