Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Press report for week ending 29th December 2019

Due to some chopping and changing of the press rota it's my turn again this week, so please post here with your Christmas running results and reports - the more colourful and action-packed the better.

Last week's round-up was a bit on the quiet side, but I'm looking forward to a bumper set of results this time. Photos also gratefully received at james.walsh60@yahoo.co.uk

Thank you!

Re: Press report for week ending 29th December 2019

Stevenage Christmas Day Park run
Saw several squirrels And 453 runners taking a break from the festivities including Spider-Man aka Big Mike and Batwoman Susan Mansfield . Whilst Susan braved the cold, Mike was padded up to survive artic conditions and needed to use all his Spider senses and help from BatWoman to navigate the course as his hero face mask reduced visibility down to zero finishing together in 28.26. Christmas dinner was earned by all.

So after putting my back out on christmas day with 12 people to cook for 3 courses with 3 starters 2 puddings not a great day also put my current marathon training plan in jeopardy! So after hobbling around for a couple of days it felt easier so me stu went off to pansanger park run today Saturday it's a first time here great 1 lap course with ups and downs and mud took it steady as unsure how back would be! Tomr of about 34 and a half minutes which in ok with Can confirm is my back was ok but what I have noticed is how much my fitness has improved over the 4 weeks of marathon training just need my sote leg to sort itself !

Completed the Cambridge Christmas 10kin a time of 55 mins and 08 secs 6th in my age category also did Stevenage Park run in 28 mins and 58 secs

Cambridge 10k results

Ian Sutcliffe 54.58 1st V70
Elwyn Howell 55.07
Allison Blunt 58.36 PB

Well organised event with 590 finishers. Flat course around the parks and roads of Cambridge.

3 Stewart Overton 00:56:11
6 Matthew Sayers 00:57:57
15 Rob Harris 01:01:12
24 Vincent Wright 01:03:46
55 Peter Sibbett 01:09:26
75 Caroline Thrussell 01:12:10
103 Stuart Cocks 01:15:25
455 Dervla Downing 01:17:24
190 Chris Poole 01:23:21
202 Lucy OConnor 01:24:39
458 Matt Roberts 01:25:51
237 Helen Harbon 01:26:54
278 Matt Ankers 01:31:40
280 Dave Braybrook 01:31:58
388 hailey batson 01:44:57
393 Brian Bailey 01:46:49

Here are the results from the Buntingford 10 this morning.

I managed to run a PB, knocking 3 minutes and 44 seconds off my previous best.

Thanks, all. That's very helpful. Great performances.

Would be great to know about any team prizes and PBs at Buntingford - and any comments on how the race was for you.

Hi James

I raced the Serpentine Last Friday of the month 5k on Friday and finished in 16:19.

Moving on to Sunday I took part in the Buntingford 10 mile and finished 3rd in a new PB of 56:11. I don’t run 10 mile races very often so nice to get Buntingford in each year.

Personally I wanted to push for a good time so started fast with the aim of settling in before the hills arrived and with a pack of 3 other runners we reached 5 miles in just under 28 minutes. Started to drop off the pack but held a gap of around 20 metres before moving back in around 8 and a half miles.

With 300 metres to go and coach Karen shouting advice including “smile” , “run tall” and “drive those arms” I managed to kick on for 3rd place.

As a team we missed out on the men’s 1st place to Ware Joggers but with several squirrels in attendance setting new PB’s and age group podiums it was a good morning and end of a successful year for NHRR.

Best wishes

Stewart

Thanks, Stewart. Great report - just the job! And well done on the PB! Babs has sent me a good photo of our Buntingford finishers.

Anyone else?

I also ran the serpentine 5k on Friday bumping into Stewart, really enjoy this event and recommend it to anyone looking to attack their 5k PB, been a quiet year for me racing wise so was never going to be anywhere near my pb which I got in the same race exactly 12 months ago however did manage to dip in just under 19 mins with 18:58.

I also done Buntingford. 72 position 1.11.42

Entered this race before joining NHRR.

I did the Great Barrow Triple Tipple Marathon this morning. I probably should not have done as I have been suffering with foot pain and not long ago had the flu, but I really wanted to get one more marathon in before the end of the year. This was day two of the three day event in Suffolk. The undulating route took us through some lovely villages and countryside. This year the tipple was given at the finish instead of the last checkpoint but was very welcome as I was aching by then. Happy to have finished in 4.46 with lots of walking breaks!

Hi , 2 more Buntingford results from this morning (didn’t make it into Vince’s Report, I think we picked NHRR on the drop down menu rather than the full name )...a rare outing on the road for us , don’t think we’ve raced on the road for nearly 2 years , but a good warm-up to our next Trail Ultra in a fortnight

Susan Mansfield did a 10 mile pb 1.26.43
Mike Bullock did 1.17.17

It was brilliant training for the crisps,chocolate and football this afternoon 🤣

Cheers
Mike

It was the Buntingford 10 for me as well, I set my self the target of 1:30 so finishing in 1,31:58 was good for me. I would have been just under my target if it wasn’t for the last mile, my legs had nothing left to give. It was great to see so many familiar faces supporting too.
This run rounded off my first full year with NHRR and what a fantastic year it has been.

Hi James

Buntingford 10 was my first race in a NHRR strip (or any strip) and a PB of 1:25:51 after being paced by Susan Mansfield for most of the race after wrongly understanding she was going to run at a slow pace 🤔 thoroughly enjoyed the run and grateful for all the support and encouragement from fellow squirrels.

To be fair it was my first ever 10 miler so on guaranteed

Just realised Andrew Porter is missing from the list too his time was 1,34:20

Thank you for all these great results and reports. You certainly gave me plenty of material to use (and I didn't even get around to the Christmas Day Parkruns).

Super-efficient Babs has already posted the report on the website (link from the home page) and a shorter version has gone to The Comet and other local news outlets.

Great running, everyone!

Completed the buntingford 10 in 1.44. 57

A nice course and nice run to end the year