Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Press Report Week Ending Sunday 5th Jan

Happy New Year All!

Please post all your race results with the usual details of full name,race name, distance, time and quotes by 7pm and send any photos through to me at paulaschmaula@yahoo.co.uk

Thank you!

Paula

Re: Press Report Week Ending Sunday 5th Jan

No such thing as down time in December for Ben Sewell and myself (Sophie Thrussell) who have continued training through out- including speedwork on Christmas Eve morning and minimal mince pies! With the chance of claiming a championship marathon entry place for this years London Marathon, I signed up for Victoria Park Run Through Half Marathon on the 4th January. We were please to turn up on the morning to clear and promising weather conditions which gave us both a good chance of PBing.

Debuting for North Herts, Ben went out in his normal fashion, quicker than target pace, for the first few miles and decided to hold on- finishing in a new PB of 1:15:47- over a 3 minute PB and a fifth place finish!

I went out at target pace and tried to keep it consistent, which proved to be quite difficult with wind against on the slightly inclined part of the course. It felt uncomfortable through out, and though thought I was still in with a chance of a PB, the hope of a sub 1:30 was fading. As I turned for the last half mile stretch I was glad to see Ben who ran beside me to the finish line, resulting in a PB 1:29:04.

Bring on London!!! (Pic to follow!)

Making the most of being retired Coach Karen Dodsworth drove up to Ferry Meadows, Peterborough, to take part in the New Year’s Eve 10km. With the original course flooded in parts the organisers used their Winter 10km course and apologised to runners for the muddy conditions. Whilst there were some slippery corners and muddy paths Karen was intent on pushing on having trained hard for this race. Reaching half way in 25.16 Karen realised that a fast time was possible and kept pushing to the line to finish in a chip time of 50.50, 3 1/2 mins faster than her previous best 10km of 2019 and her fastest time for 9 years.

Completed the Stevenage new year days Park run in 26 mins 38 secs

Astrid and Steve McKeown took advantage of the New Years Eve 5k race in Bonn, Germany whilst visiting family. Astrid finished the chilly run beside the Rhein in 21:04 which placed her 5th overall woman (2nd F45), whilst Steve won his age group (17th overall) in 18:53.

Well done Karen!!!

Herts County Cross Country Championships

17 squirrels ran in the county champs at Stevenage, running in the U17 ladies, U20 men and both senior ladies and men.

The senior men had two teams out, the A team finished 3rd behind St Albans and Watford. The standard was very high this year, and St Albans turned out a great performance to score 100 points with their first 6 finishers. Watford scored 127 and we got 132. We actually got our first 6 runners in before anybody else, but both St Albans and Watford had a few more up towards the front than us. Still, it was a great performance by all. The B team came 12th. :grinning:

The course was flat, but super muddy in places. The sprint finish was super muddy and we had to do that bit 5 times! It was so strength sapping, it took me the whole of the rest of the lap to recover from it - and then you had it again. It didn't matter what line you took through it, and I tried 5 of them, it was still tough. I attempted a bit of a sprint finish at the end, but I was literally stuck in the mud!

The A team of Andrew, Ed, Darren, Stewart, Mark and Nathan have county bronze medals, I will bring on Tuesday.

Thanks very much to supporters who came and cheered :pray:

U17 Ladies

5th Eva McCabe

U20 Men

6th James Fox

Senior Ladies

28th, Astrid Mckeown
84th Georgina Quayle
92nd Carina Quayle

Senior Men

9th, Andrew Leach
15th, Ed Price
24th, Darren Sunter
25th, Stewart Overton
28th, Mark Vaughan
31st, Nathan Pask
54th, Rob Harris
61st, John Rayner
68th, Steve Mckeown
78th, John Auld
81st, Matt Sayers
86th, John O'Gorman

After 10 years of parkrunning, I finally reached the big 250 milestone, in the company of some fellow members of the yellow group. A long journey round the UK taking in runs as far as Inverness, also including a trip to the original parkrun at Bushy park, was completed at the local Letchworth parkrun. As usual it was very muddy in places which meant all times were well down, but the conditions were the same on my first parkrun at Basingstoke all the way back in December 2009!

Well done Brian! I also managed to reach my 100th Parkrun at Stevenage yesterday allbeit still not fully recovered from a virus that I've had since the start of December (must be an age thing not recovering quickly), will be a few years yet before I get to that milestone. I think we have about 7 North Herts on 100 plus now.