Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Parliament Hill super stars

Dear all
It was an honour and a pleasure to make the way down to Parliament Hill today to watch our men and ladies team superstars take part in what is undoubtedly the best race you will ever take part in.
I Have no idea what places they came however the men’s team of Darren Mark Vince John James and Johnny with Wayne running for his first claim club and the ladies team of Katie Paula and Jo were just superb. And how they loved it as the photos to follow will show.
Got to be on the race to do list of every runner.
Thank you

Re: Parliament Hill super stars

Interesting piece in The Telegraph this weekend on this. Why is it that the women are only allowed to run 8k? It seems that cross country is THE ONLY running event in which 'the fairer sex' are not considered capable of covering the same distance as the men... Or perhaps it is thought that we might not cope with the mud for that long. Quite a few of us know that that is just not true...

Well said Dickie.

They are indeed all super stars!

Jo Summers
Interesting piece in The Telegraph this weekend on this. Why is it that the women are only allowed to run 8k? It seems that cross country is THE ONLY running event in which 'the fairer sex' are not considered capable of covering the same distance as the men... Or perhaps it is thought that we might not cope with the mud for that long. Quite a few of us know that that is just not true...
Maybe you have a point there Jo.....

but I bet if you asked the ladies that were walking up the first hill (yes...less than 100m from the start!), or the ladies still running when the mens race was in full flow, they would be quite glad that their race was shorter!

It's all about the logistics of getting everyone round in a packed schedule I suppose.

Jo Summers
was reading something somewhere about some ladies who were planning on running the men's race...did anyone spot them?

Yes they were spotted! Personally speaking, asking me to run that far would instantly stop me from running it. I am not strong enough for that and there were a lot of us who would not turn up. it is a fantastic event, and as Mark says, the logistics of it works. Running men and women together would be horrendous, the course is too tight for that. Changing the distances doesn't come into it for me - it is a great day out, everyone enjoyed it! The flapjack was exceptional, lets remember to have a bit of fun! x

The men's race is unreasonably long at the southerns too, the northerns is shorter!

Gutted to have missed it!

I was that Lady running the Mens Race x
FACT

Mark V
Jo Summers
Interesting piece in The Telegraph this weekend on this. Why is it that the women are only allowed to run 8k? It seems that cross country is THE ONLY running event in which \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'the fairer sex\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' are not considered capable of covering the same distance as the men... Or perhaps it is thought that we might not cope with the mud for that long. Quite a few of us know that that is just not true...
Maybe you have a point there Jo.....

but I bet if you asked the ladies that were walking up the first hill (yes...less than 100m from the start!), or the ladies still running when the mens race was in full flow, they would be quite glad that their race was shorter!

It\\\\\\\'s all about the logistics of getting everyone round in a packed schedule I suppose.
I am pretty sure that anyone watching, rather than running at the front of, the mens' race would have also witnessed men walking up the first hill! I fully appreciate the logistics of getting so many runners around the course in a certain time but surely the fair way to do it would be to run the two races but let runners choose which distance they enter regardless of sex or age. As well as there being women who would like to run the longer distance there may well be men who would prefer to run the shorter one...

Jo

just checked the you tube footage of the senior mens race - plenty of plodders (me included as I started right at the back!), but I didn't see any walkers....

Great idea to let people decide which distance / race they run, but I suspect the SEAA would have objections to this concept as I think they regard this as a championship race rather than a fun run!

I guess certain standards with regards to race distance need to be met....

we can discuss this further on the start line of next year's race if you like (if you come and join the men!)

Parliament Hill is always a Saturday and my Saturdays from September to March are all spent participating in another off road mud-related activity. It also, even if I were to enter the mens' race and walk, seriously fails my 'time spent travelling must not exceed time spent running (or walking)' rule.

My real issue here, and I think the one that is being missed, is that as a man you cannot possibly understand how humiliating it can be to be excluded from something on the grounds that I am 'only a girl' and therefore not deemed capable of completing in a reasonable time.

Fair solutions would be a 15k Championship event for both men and women for which qualification would be required (it has always bemused me somewhat that running seems to be the only sport where no qualification is required to run in a Championship event when the word Championship implies that all competitors have qualified by proving their ability at qualifying events), supported by a non-championship 8k event for anyone who wants a shorter distance or hasn't qualified but wants to experience that Championship Event atmosphere, or continue with the Mens'/Ladies' format but run both races over the same distance - 10 or 12k perhaps.

I actually went to enter the Herts Cross Country Championships this year seeing that it was on a Sunday but then saw that the men run 8 miles and the women only 5 and decided a long run on my own would be far less demoralising.

Interestingly I just got some meeting minutes from the Herts AAA, they did a poll at the end of the women's race at the Herts XC in January about course length:

The result of the poll of senior women taken after their cross-country race was 73 in favour of staying the same at 8km, 15 in favour of 10km and 6 in favour of a 12km race (currently the same as the men)

After some discussion it was suggested that the men should be polled next year to see if they would prefer 10km or the current distance of 12km.

Mark, I didn't watch the Southern XC race this year but I can assure you that in previous years I have seen plenty of male plodders at the back end of the race! Also, I have always wondered why the Southern XC is so long, 15km v 2km for the northern and midlands versions of the event.

Going back to Dickie’s original post, well done again to all runners! :couple:

Thanks for representing #TeamNHRR in this epic race :+1:

And as those pioneering women who fought for the right to vote, to work, to own property, to die for their country, to become Horse Guards, to ride in the Grand National and to run the Boston Marathon collectively spin in their graves (metaphorically speaking, some of these are still alive) a small earthquake the other side of the world triggers a tsunami and the recently discovered island of Thisgirlcan slips once again beneath the waves...

Come on girls - if there wasn't an easy option you wouldn't ask for one, you'd just get on with it! I'm sure a significant percentage of female marathon runners, given the chance, would vote for the ladies race being only 20 miles but then they wouldn't really have run a marathon, would they?