Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
British Masters Virtual 5k Relays

BMAF have arranged a Virtual 5km event on 14-20 Jun 2020, which celebrates the masters road relay championships at Sutton Park and the 5k championships at Horwich, which were cancelled due to coronavirus.

The entry page is here. Please take a look at the details.

We are looking to create some teams for this based upon age category.

This is aimed at ALL abilities. It would be great to have a bunch of teams in each category.

The entry is open from May 1st - so not available just yet. Will post again when its open. I'm assuming its going to be similar to the 12 stage. You can either enter yourself, and then submit your own results. Or if you wish, I can enter you and I'll submit your result too. I'm happy to help with submissions.

You will need an activity on either Garmin or Strava that is publicly visible. If you have privacy settings enabled - then you can enable a single activity to be public.

Please note the rule on the course: One or more loops totalling 5k, with the start/finish close together.

The teams will be automatically selected based upon the age and the times submitted. So basically we want a bunch of entries to start with. Individual entries also welcome, so if a category doesn't have a team then you're OK.

Teams

• 6 stages, M35-44

• 4 stages, M45-54, W35-44

• 3 stages, M55-64, M65-74, M75+, W45-54, W55-64, W65-74, W75+

So who's in? Please post below to show interest.

Re: British Masters Virtual 5k Relays

🙋🏼‍♂️

Pete and Karen will enter and we are both V55s.

I'm in!

Thanks

🙋‍♂️

I’d like to enter ( V55 )

I will have a bash 👍

Dont tell Andy but I'm going to volunteer us both. We probably won't make the team but it will be fun to see how our training is going.

Both early M40.

Michelle and Andy Grudzinski
Dont tell Andy but I'm going to volunteer us both. We probably won't make the team but it will be fun to see how our training is going.

Both early M40.
Sorry M35 - 44

If needed, I am in. I think I now a v45 :-(

Hope to be able to do this.

We need 3 for a MV65-74 team.

I'd love to do this, but assume I don't qualify as I can't automatically upload from my Garmin and I don't use Strava? I do have a Garmin but I record all my training manually.

Nice one Michelle! That’s the spirit :grinning:

Lindsay, we definitely need you.:+1:

Linda, if your able to export either a FIT, GPX or TCX file from where ever your activity is - you can import this into either Strava or Garmin. What is it that you use? Where do your activities upload into from your watch?

Count me in (V55-60 category)

I'm keen to do VM45-54 if needed

Count me in.

Thx

I’m in

I'm in and entered. In the MV45-54 cat.

I wmould like to do this. Age Category would be W75+

I’m interested age 60-64 age category

Apparently age group would be 55-64

sounds a plan, happy to join a team

I’m definitely keen to take part in this... best I get the Strava app!

Hi can you do this on any day and time between 14th and 20th June? I would like to for WV35.

Tracy

Tracey, that’s right, yes. It’s to help with social distancing - so everyone isn’t trying to do it at the same time. You can do it any time during those dates and then submit the result. :+1:

I've been persuaded after seeing your fantastic video John. V55

I've been persuaded after seeing your fantastic video John. W55

I've entered, V55.
Will be interesting to see how they deal with the teams, if down-aging is permitted. One for you, John!
Andrew

Count me in John! M45-54.
I wont eat the world alright with my time but definitely up for it!
Cheers,
Andrew.

Andrew Robson
Count me in John! M45-54.
I wont eat the world alright with my time but definitely up for it!
Cheers,
Andrew.
Dont you hate auto correct! I won't set the world alight is what I tried to say!

Yes please W55-64

I’m entered

Count me in for M35-44.

Nice one everybody! Teams are building up!

Don’t forget to enter here

Keep them coming in. We’d love to get a team out in each category!

please see video announcement for more details

#TeamNHRR
#BritishMasters

Have entered. M45-54.

We’ve both entered:)

I have entered (I think)

I am in 65-74 and have entered Brian.

Hi John.
I have entered 65-74

I only have a Samsung Gearfit2 pro watch which transfers to my phone but that has GPX function so please advise me what to do whenever necessary. Thanks.

I'm in!

Needs plenty more V35s if I'm not to slow the team down immensely :D

I'd like to take part please.

Russ Hagan MV55-64

Russ Hagan
I'd like to take part please.

Russ Hagan MV55-64

Just entered online

Philip, thanks for entering.

It looks like you can link your watch to Strava. Have a look here

What I would do is create a Strava account and try this.

You could also upload the activity manually if you can export the file.

Let me know how you get on.

Great job team - we're doing well so far! Keep the entries coming in! :raised_hands:

We're a few short of some complete teams. Please see below. Even if a category gets complete teams, keep the entries coming please. Start the next team. Or provide some back up for an existing team.

I will enquire with the organisers about the possibility of running in a lower category and how we go about doing this - should we want to/need to.

So currently we have;

Men :runner:

10 in the M35 category - 2 more required for 2 teams.

7 in the M45 category - 1 more required for 2 teams

5 in the M55 category - 1 more required for 2 teams

2 in the M65 category - 1 more required for a complete team

Ladies :dancer:

2 in the W35 category - 2 more required for a complete team

1 in the W45 category - 2 more required for a complete team

5 in the W55 category - 1 more required for 2 teams

1 in the W75 category - 2 more required for a complete team

Don’t forget to enter yourself here - not everybody who has posted here has entered so far, so please remember to do this.

please see video announcement for more details

#TeamNHRR

Please can someone come and join me in w45?!

Lindsay
If you don't mind me slowing you down Lindsay, I'll enter.

I'd like to enter - I'm in W35 category.

Yes Lindsay! I’ve just entered to join you!

Thanks for organising John. Love the video! 👍

🤗

I have signed up for this. Age 75+

I'd like to enter I'm 41 shhhhhh

Tash
Yes Lindsay! I’ve just entered to join you!

Thanks for organising John. Love the video! 👍

🤗
yay, now we need another W45...there must be some kicking about...

Jo Sopala
Lindsay
If you don't mind me slowing you down Lindsay, I'll enter.
er, not sure who will be slowing who down!

If needed I can join I’ll be in the 45 cat. Let me know

I’ve just signed up 👍🏻

Hi I have tried to enter but it says I have no club when I put my details in. I have renewed my membership a while ago and am not sure how to change to enter under the club.

Nice one Tracy!

You select the club when you enter, the code is NHERT for us. You can use this directly, or search using North Herts Road Runners and it will come up. It remembers your primary club from your profile, but still makes you select it.

I’m not sure if you can edit this afterwards? If you click the entry and edit? I tried on mine, but mine is already set. If you can’t, I’m going to email the organisers this week anyway, so I can ask them to add the club for you.

Thanks I have entered buy don't think I have been linked to the club. There was no option for me to search the club. I have a confirmation email I am entered.

Does anyone have a good 5k loop or out and back route they are going to use with start and finish close together?

Depending where you live, we have a few loops that are popular.

Brandles Road, Letchworth 2m elevation over 1.7km

Croft lane, Letchworth 4m elevation over 1.3km

Clothall Common, Baldock 6m elevation over 1.7km

Mead Way, Hitchin - 3m elevation over 1.7km

I'm gutted, but I have to pull out. Sorry, but I need to sort out this niggle/pain in the ... once and for all!

John A
Depending where you live, we have a few loops that are popular.

Brandles Road, Letchworth 2m elevation over 1.7km

Croft lane, Letchworth 4m elevation over 1.3km

Clothall Common, Baldock 6m elevation over 1.7km

Mead Way, Hitchin - 3m elevation over 1.7km
:+1:

Jo S - no problem. Get fit soon. :face_with_head_bandage:

Tracey - you're added OK, on NHRR. :+1:

Looking good team! 33 registered so far, any more? There are a few listed above not in the entry list yet...

See below for how many we have in each category.

MV35, 12 - 2 teams.
MV45, 7 - one more for 2 teams. Glyn, you're not entered yet?
MV55, 4 - Steve, Elwyn, you're not entered yet?
MV65, 1 - Brian, you're not entered yet?

WV35, 4 - 1 team
WV45, 2 - one more for a team, Jo K - yes please! :pray:
WV55, 3 - 1 team. Caroline, you're not entered yet?
WV75, Monica, you're not entered yet?

#TeamNHRR

Do you need me? I could give it a go... ? MV45 ?

Yes please:)

Ok 🙂 will enter then!

Ok I think I am entered!!

Can you enter me

I'd like to give it a go. I'm V45-54.

Thanks

I have entered - FV55-64 Now just have to sort out getting my Garmin to talk to the laptop .......

Linda, do you connect your garmin to your laptop using the cable? if the software doesn;t recognise it, it is possible to get the gpx file off the watch manually and manually upload it, might be an option?

Any other Hitchin based 5k loops or out and back recommendations?

Hi John

Thanks for your advice re connecting my Samsung with Strava.

I uploaded Strava to my watch then strava to my phone as per instructions. I have tested it several times recently but the run doesn't transfer from the watch to the phone. I'll keep trying.

It's ok though, When I take my phone with me on the run, it all records and saves ok. Presumably I'll be able to submit the result using one of the icons available.

I know that Stravas been in the news recently re taking away some of the features for non subscribers.

I have no idea if I'm entered or not I received an email the other day about a virtual race

Hi,

If possible. It would be good to arrange for a few of each team to meet to run this together whilst respecting guidelines. Trying to hit a fast 5k is always easier/better with others. I was planning on running the Heathfield/Strathmore loop and am flexible with evenings other than Wednesday!

Thanks

Nice one team!

We start tomorrow, let’s do this! :raised_hands:

I’m doing mine at 7am Tuesday round Clothall Common, Baldock. I’ll be starting with a warm up round the same loop.

As Mr Weston says, it would be great to try and co-ordinate times if possible, whilst abiding by current UKA guidance.

Post your intended event time and place and you may get some on course support. Conversely, if you’re available, and see somebody is due for their effort, why not go and support them from a safe social distance, maybe part of an easy run, or warm up? :pray:

It makes a massive difference if you have somebody else there in support. They don’t have to be ‘racing’ at the same time, but if you post your time and place, it might be possible to stagger warm ups with racing times and have a little bit of company and support.

You can also possibly help each other by minding each other’s stuff, whilst the other races. If you need some kit to wear in the WU/WD and or a bottle, then budding up will be a big help for each other too.

I also personally find it helps to set a time and date, and just get on with it. Like a race event. It’s do or die. If I have too much flexibility, I tend to procrastinate.

Wear your vest and get a picture for Strava. :+1:

Even if you’re not entered, why not come and support in some way?

#GoSquirrels!
#TeamNHRR
#BELIEVE
#EveryoneMatters - that’s all that matters

Hi just to clarify if doing multiple loops do you have to complete the whole loop before stopping the watch even if the distance is over or can you just stop when you get to 5k? If you can stop at exactly 5k exactly how close does it have to be to the start. Also if say the 2nd or 3rd loop is still under 5k can you still stop at the 5k mark as long as it is not too far out? Saw something in the email about penalties for not completing loops so wanted to check the rules.

Many thanks

Tracy Pitcairn

Those loops above all all fine. You’ll finish close the the start. If you have a mile loop, or just over that’s perfect 👌 or a km loop.

If you’re in doubt, just do an out and back... run out 2.5km, turn around and run back.

I’d advice running slightly over rather than risk stopping under 5km, as you can always crop the activity afterwards in Strava to get it down to 5km. Make sure you run at least 5km, but don’t run more than 5km.

Finishing close to the start is designed to reduce net elevation. So long as your net elevation is low, no more than 10m, you’ll be fine.

Fundamentally, they are looking to stop people running down hills, so as long as you’re not trying to maximise the down hill, I think you’ll be fine.

Practice your intended loop on an easy run or warm up and check the net elevation, if it’s less than 10m then you’re OK.

The Strava route planner does now tell you the net elevation gain and loss. If these are the same, that’s perfect.

The Course: We are aiming to achieve neutral elevation over all courses, which should therefore be one or more complete circular loops or and out and back route totalling 5k. If followed correctly this should ensure that courses are flat overall, however if for any reason loops are not complete and courses have a negative elevation of more than 10m, we will have to apply a penalty, so please stick to the rules! You must be fully aware of the dangers involved in participating and be responsible for your own safety, especially if using public roads. Running on a track is also allowed, but you will have to measure the distance you run on the track itself e.g. 12.5 laps of 400m each, as GPS watches will tend to overstate the distance on a circular track. The evidence of the time achieved can still come from your GPS watch, but please email me to let me know that this was completed on a track as well.

Thanks John. I'll try the mead way loop this morning. Tracy

All done just need to work out how to upload it. Goy a new PB but really annoying as I stopped at 3.08 miles 😔 so sorry I may need to take a penalty.

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/k6pF3FyUk7

Hi Jon,

I managed to enter. What a terrible website this is!!! How do I go into a team? Also I am looking at start lists and my name is not there. It is very difficult to navigate, I hope I have done it correctly. I am not in any teams.

Hi John, I am V40 by the way. I don't understand this relay and the teams at all. Do I just go on my own and run 5k flat out? My loop is 1.5km so it is three laps and 500m, will that be ok?

The website is a little temperamental for sure. It can be annoying. Try to bear with it. It’s a small team, who wrote it to help with track meets. So the load is normally much lower. It’s also very cheap. They have been trying to upscale and improve it for the lock down situation and the virtual races. So I try to give them the benefit of the doubt...

If you selected NHERT, or North Herts Road Runners when you entered, then that’s enough. They will put you into the age category teams automatically for us. If you didn’t add the team, you can edit it, I think. Otherwise let us know, and we will contact them.

Sometimes it takes a while to show up in the list. Others have had this and then appeared. So I wouldn’t worry about that just yet.

Your loop sounds good, head out and do that. Use a separate activity for it, I.e. no warm up included - and make sure it reads 5.00km. Although they will accept 4.99km. Do a warm up, obviously, but save that and start another activity for the race. I would definitely clock over 5km and then if you need to edit it down afterwards, thats possible. But for the sake of a few seconds, it’s safer to make sure it’s over in my opinion.

Good luck!

Perfect, thabnks John. I chose the team but yes I think there is a delay in updating the data. I also emailed them and they confirmed I am in your team. All good :)

I'll do a loop around Lordship Estate which starts at the corner of Howard Drive and Whitethorn Lane then run up and turn left to Willian Way, left into Brandles, left into Howard Drive and and continue to complete 3 laps and 500m. If anyone wants to join me you're welcome. It is flat. A lap is 1.5km.
I'll probably do it Thursday lunchtine but I could be talked into an 8:30am start.

quick question, when it says Saturday 20, I assume that means you can actually do it on Saturday 20?

Completed take 2 and actually managed the full distance this time and even managed a new PB again 😁. Just need to upload now.

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/4cycMwImo7

I've done mine in the rain, PR too :). I sent them the garmin activity 24:07
I am V40 W40, BIB 3784

Done and a new PB to boot (21:39)

https://www.strava.com/activities/3635050580

Finished well behind the other gathered greens, but don''t mind when it slices chunks out of my time!

Very glad I bailed out of the Saturday morning heat and went for today instead, no way I'd have kep the pace! :joy:

Completed mine 18/06/20 with a PB of 23:16. I'm an MV50 & proud to represent the super yellows.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3634753985/overview

For some reason, the date has been entered into the Opentrack website as Sunday 14th June, even though it didn't give me an option to pick a date - go figure.

https://data.opentrack.run/en-gb/x/2020/GBR/bmaf-virtual-rr/competitor/_RNR1/

Thanks

My time for the BMAF 5K relay as MV60 was 24:50

https://www.strava.com/activities/3637283121

Cheers
Russ

Have done mine - time of 30.48 - I can't work out how to enter it on the site though?!

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/LZBQ8oD4r7

Think I just did it... hopefully it's I'm there

19.09 for me at the 2nd attempt. Result submitted.

24.37 for me on my fast, flat out and back around the back of the Grange. Thanks to Pete for getting up early to support:)

Done and submitted. Less said about my time the better though!