Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Standalone 10k 2020

Dear All,

Please see the message that has just gone out to all runners on our Standalone database. Please look out for how you can enter the virtual Standalone 10k this year and get one of the soon to be very famous t shirts.

Standalone 10k 2020 Update

Dear Runner,

I hope that this message finds you and all your family and friends safe and well.

It is with a heavy heart that I have to announce that this years Standalone 10k road race will now be held as a virtual only event. The Standalone 10k was first ran in October 1988 and has been run every year since. It has become one of the biggest races and community events in the area. It is not only a huge part of so many peoples lives but it has also raised thousands of pounds for a host of local charities over the years.

However, we have to put the safety of all the runners, spectators and marshals at the forefront of everything we do. The organising committee have been studying advice from the Government and organisations such as England Athletics ever since the COVID19 crisis began and we cannot promise that we will be able to hold a safe race in October.

But all is not lost. The current crisis has shown that those that adapt will succeed and we would like to offer you the opportunity to take part in a virtual Standalone 10k race. The race will be free to enter with an opportunity for you to donate to our current club charity, Headway-Hertfordshire. They are a fantastic organisation whose motto is as follows:

"At Headway Hertfordshire we work tirelessly to improve life after a brain injury for adults who have been immediately affected and the loved ones who care for them".

For more information, please go to: https://www.headway-herts.org.uk/

To take part, you will be asked to register through an easy to enter portal. You will be given the opportunity to run or walk 10k between given dates and then send us proof that you have completed the distance. To be eligible for the race you will need to send proof on the format of Strava or similar. However, if you just want to take part, you will just need to send us the time you completed the run in. We would also like to see photographs of your achievement.

The event will be open to runners of all ages and abilities, wearing whatever clothing you desire. Yes there will be prizes for the fastest runners but there will also be prizes for the best fancy dress runner completing 10k. There will also be our now famous children's fun run.

And, last but not least there will be an opportunity to own a bespoke Standalone 10k (2020) t shirt. This will be very specific to this year and will be available to purchase in time for or after the event. And no I won't tell you the colour but you will want one.

I do hope that this has whetted your appetite for what will be a fantastic event. No, it won't be the same as the actual Standalone 10k but with a bit of the imagination thousands of you have shown in the last 4 months we can make it somewhere close. And still raise significant amounts of money for charity. So, please look out for more information about this event. How to enter and purchase the T shirt will be published in the next few weeks.

Thank you and keep safe

Richard Harbon (Race Director)
on behalf of the NHRR

Re: Standalone 10k 2020

When is entry open and where will it be advertised so I can pass it on. 🌈

open son and will be advertised across our website and social media (facebook, twitter, strava)

A very hard and difficult decision to make . But taking all factors into account it is the correct decision.
Virtual standalone is a great idea.
Let's hope it raise loads of money for a worthy charity .