Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
There and baaaaa...ck again

On Sunday, four of us opted to run a virtual half marathon around our beloved Greenway - not exactly the Greenway Challenge, but we did run it that way round. This was an event called the Sheepy Shuffle, where you pick your preferred date and route (up until the end of August, so still time to enter) and walk or run 13.1 miles - the modest entrance fee goes to fund the Mirkwood Home for Retired Sheep. All entrants have the same running number - 28 - the number of rescued sheep that live at the home. I was looking for a slightly longer running challenge, and thought this would be fun to do, and I managed to rope in a few more Sqirrels along the way - so Lucy O'Connor, Richard Weber, Dervla and I set off on a sunny Sunday morning to complete our challenge. I set off a good half an hour before the other three, however, as I knew they would run it much faster than me - I kept expecting to be overtaken, but as they'd set off a lot later than me that never actually happened! I tried to keep to a pace that was comfortable and that I knew I could maintain for the whole distance - I have been struggling a bit with both stamina and speed lately so I took it fairly easy, finishing in 2:10:09 - just under 10 min miling pace. I really enjoyed my run - the sun was shining, but there was plenty of shade, and it was nice to run the Greenway again as I haven't done it at all this year. The other three ran it much faster than me - I'll let them post their own times, but I know that Richard ran a fantastic half marathon PB, no mean feat on quite a tough course!

If you need a bit of motivation, I'd recommend doing a virtual challenge like this - it's not the same as racing, obviously, but it does give you something to aim for and provides a bit of focus to your running.

Thanks to BrianJ for support on the way round, for Gladys for the photos, and to Anna for the use of her garden/gazebo for our post-run cake consumption - we even had some Shaun the sheep cupcakes to celebrate our efforts, and we are looking forward to getting out special Sheepy-themed medals once we have submitted our results!

Re: There and baaaaa...ck again

Great report Linda as ewe-sual 🤣

Like many of us, I had been looking forward to running the Greenway challenge this year, but then covid-19 came along and put paid to that idea, so this filled that gap nicely. Thanks to Linda for arranging this and then persuading us to run for such a worthy cause. It was a beautiful day for running and I thoroughly enjoyed myself, getting a half-marathon PB into the bargain: 1:51:31, over three and a half minutes quicker than my previous best in 2015. I managed to crank up the speed over the last 3km once I had gotten past the Hillbrow climb, so was able to finish on a high.

Happy to share the limelight with our wonderful mascot Shaun the sheep for the team photos. Thanks to Dervla, Lucy and Linda for the company, to Anna for hosting socially distanced coffee and cake, and to the other squirrels who supported us at various points along the route. A lovely day was had by all.

My time was 1:58:33. This was the first time since before lockdown that I’ve run that distance without stopping. I didn’t remember the Greenway being so hilly! I managed to pick up speed for the last 1.10 miles as I was determined to run it in less than two hours. It was a very enjoyable morning with money going to a good cause.