Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Shires and Spires Marathon

I did the Shires and Spires Multi-Terrain Marathon on Sunday. The event was originally scheduled for June and had to be postponed a couple of times. There were four distances, 10K, half marathon, marathon and ultra marathon. It was quite a large turnout which unfortunately led to a little confusion at registration with queues (masked and socially distanced) and the start time 8.30 for the ultra, followed five minutes later by the marathon and so on.

The circular marathon course started and finished at Naseby Village Hall and took us through the beautiful Northamponshire countryside passing lots of country houses, farms and the famous Althorp Estate. There were plenty of hills, lots of unstable stiles to climb over and ploughed fields to plod your way through, but it was very dry and the weather was perfect. There were four water stops with all the COVID-19 precautions in place.

We had a map booklet to guide us as there were no signs or arrows to follow and I also had the electronic version which became very useful in parts. I covered 27.1 miles and finished in 5.34. :blush:

Re: Shires and Spires Marathon

Well done Sue. It is great to hear that an event went ahead :grinning:

I did this as well but did it as my first Ultra I echo a lot of what Sue said and it’s a shame I didn’t see her at the start.

Great to do an actual event definitely need to be better at map reading and paying attention to my GPS watch 😂😂 35.1 miles for me.

Well done Sue, it sounds a fun event

Well done both of you - I did the ultra a couple of times a few years ago and it is a great route. Shame it doesn't still start from Haddon Hall - although that did mean the finish was at the top of a hill! Maybe next year...