Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Race Report - Star Trek 50k Ultra

The plan (created after too much Merlot) was to run 4 Ultras and a 10k in October ...maybe excessive , but training has gone ok this Summer

Today was the Star Trek Ultra in Lea Valley ...a lapped (7 x 4.5miles) 50k course , fairly flat , but challenging to keep focus doing 7 laps .

A good opportunity to try out my new Ultra Trail Shoes (big success)

Totally messed up my tactics , running the first 2 laps at a crazy pace which I paid for later , and even went the wrong way, following a guy who I thought was ahead of me ....2km later I realised he was a Sunday runner rather than a competitor, and I had to turn round To find the real course .susan Also took a wrong turn and had to find her way back to the course

Definitely slowed towards the end as I messed up my nutrition plan,and hit the wall, but managed to smash my 50k PB by 22 minutes in 4.58 (I knocked 18 minutes off my PB at Wendover woods ultra 2 weeks ago), and ended up 1st finisher in the Ultra , whilst Susan finished 5th in just under 6 hours

Totally loving getting racing again....finished 4th, 4th and 1st in my October Ultras ...one 50k left next Saturday in Chesterfield , and a Marathon at the start of November, then perhaps a rest month 😬

Mike

Re: Race Report - Star Trek 50k Ultra

Congratulations, awesome racing from both of you:)

Re: Race Report - Star Trek 50k Ultra

Thanks Karen, first time we’ve both made top 5 ...I’m putting it down to hill training and shiny new shoes
Need some serious recovery this week as next saturdays ultra is an absolute beast 😆
I also need to remember that these events hurt if you run the 1st 10 miles at 10k pace ....schoolboy error getting carried away when I realised I could get under 5 hours 😆😆